Old 09-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Dmitry Butskoy

Default "Baseurl" download source for now?

I've discovered data inconsistencies in a (nearest) mirror of Fedora.

For me,
"https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch"
return a mirror at "mirror.yandex.ru".

Assuming it is some temporary issues, I prefer to switch (for a while)
to the "baseurl" in the repo config file, ie. to
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
.
But any attempt to address this link returns me the same mirror at
yandex.ru.

IOW, it seems that "baseurl" is the same behavior as "mirrorlist".

How can I download something from the "primary", "baseurl" Fedora repos
(not from mirrors)?

Regards,
Dmitry Butskoy
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy

Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 17:53 +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> I've discovered data inconsistencies in a (nearest) mirror of Fedora.
>
> For me,
> "https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch"
> return a mirror at "mirror.yandex.ru".
>
> Assuming it is some temporary issues, I prefer to switch (for a while)
> to the "baseurl" in the repo config file, ie. to
> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
> .
> But any attempt to address this link returns me the same mirror at
> yandex.ru.
>
> IOW, it seems that "baseurl" is the same behavior as "mirrorlist".
>
> How can I download something from the "primary", "baseurl" Fedora repos
> (not from mirrors)?

download.fedoraproject.org hits a redirector which sends you to the
nearest mirror from mirrormanager.

-sv

Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Dmitry Butskoy

seth vidal wrote:
> download.fedoraproject.org hits a redirector which sends you to the
> nearest mirror from mirrormanager.

Well, but what should I do if that mirror seems broken? Try to obtain
the full mirror list and try each mirror step by step? Why we no more
provide just a true "baseurl"?

Regards,
Dmitry

Old 09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 18:04 +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > download.fedoraproject.org hits a redirector which sends you to the
> > nearest mirror from mirrormanager.
> >

> Well, but what should I do if that mirror seems broken?

Broken how? If the mirror is not functional yum should switch to the
next mirror in your mirrorlist from mirrormanager.

> Try to obtain
> the full mirror list and try each mirror step by step? Why we no more
> provide just a true "baseurl"?

Go to the url from the mirrorlist= line in a webbrowser and it will give
you all the baseurls you could possibly desire.

-sv

Old 09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Jos Vos

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:22:48AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> Broken how? If the mirror is not functional yum should switch to the
> next mirror in your mirrorlist from mirrormanager.

Well, I have had broken (kickstart) installs more than once, because
packages couldn't be found etc. I had to solve this by specifying a
well-known mirror as base url.

If a mirror is accessible, but has a broken repository, you're lost.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Dmitry Butskoy

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 18:04 +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>
>> Well, but what should I do if that mirror seems broken?
>>

> Broken how?
Some SRPMS in fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS are missed.

> Go to the url from the mirrorlist= line in a webbrowser and it will give
> you all the baseurls you could possibly desire.

Thanks. I just have recollected download.fedora.redhat.com

BTW is there a way to filter some particular url from the mirrorlist?

Regards,
Dmitry

Old 09-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Dmitry Butskoy

Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 18:04 +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>>

>>> Well, but what should I do if that mirror seems broken?
>>>

>> Broken how?
>>
> Some SRPMS in fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS are missed.

Now the files have appeared, but the repomd.xml files are still differ.

Compare:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
and
http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml

It seems something is not reliable in the mirroring process...

Regards,
Dmitry Butskoy

Old 09-07-2011, 03:18 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 19:16 +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
> > seth vidal wrote:

> >> Broken how?
> >>
> > Some SRPMS in fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS are missed.
> >

> Now the files have appeared, but the repomd.xml files are still differ.
>
> Compare:
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
> and
> http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
>
> It seems something is not reliable in the mirroring process...

it is a mirror - it happens gradually.

-sv

Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 19:16 +0400, Dmitry Butskoy wrote:
>> Dmitry Butskoy wrote:

>> > Some SRPMS in fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS are missed.
>> >

>> Now the files have appeared, but the repomd.xml files are still differ.
>>
>> Compare:
>> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
>> and
>> http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
>>
>> It seems something is not reliable in the mirroring process...
>>

> it is a mirror - it happens gradually.

It might be worth pointing out that mirrors.kernel.org has been down
for a couple of days, so any of the other mirrors that sync from that
will be stale.

josh

Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 PM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 11:30 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:18 AM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> Now the files have appeared, but the repomd.xml files are still differ.
> >>
> >> Compare:
> >> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
> >> and
> >> http://mirror.yandex.ru/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/repodata/repomd.xml
> >>
> >> It seems something is not reliable in the mirroring process...
> >>

> > it is a mirror - it happens gradually.
>
> It might be worth pointing out that mirrors.kernel.org has been down
> for a couple of days, so any of the other mirrors that sync from that
> will be stale.

A good point.
-sv