Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Adam Williamson

Default "Baseurl" download source for now?

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 16:28 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:22:48AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > Broken how? If the mirror is not functional yum should switch to the
> > next mirror in your mirrorlist from mirrormanager.
>
> Well, I have had broken (kickstart) installs more than once, because
> packages couldn't be found etc. I had to solve this by specifying a
> well-known mirror as base url.
>
> If a mirror is accessible, but has a broken repository, you're lost.

Sounds like anaconda could do with cribbing yum's code for falling back
to alternate mirrors when it can't find a file on the first mirror it
tries.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 16:28 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:22:48AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>>
>> > Broken how? If the mirror is not functional yum should switch to the
>> > next mirror in your mirrorlist from mirrormanager.
>>
>> Well, I have had broken (kickstart) installs more than once, because
>> packages couldn't be found etc. *I had to solve this by specifying a
>> well-known mirror as base url.
>>
>> If a mirror is accessible, but has a broken repository, you're lost.
>
> Sounds like anaconda could do with cribbing yum's code for falling back
> to alternate mirrors when it can't find a file on the first mirror it
> tries.

I'm pretty sure anaconda already uses yum for this. IIRC, giving a
repo to anaconda via kickstart is like specifying baseurl to yum,
which also doesn't fall back. You need mirrorlist for that
functionality.

josh

Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sep 7, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Well, I have had broken (kickstart) installs more than once, because
>>> packages couldn't be found etc. I had to solve this by specifying a
>>> well-known mirror as base url.
>>>
>>> If a mirror is accessible, but has a broken repository, you're lost.
>>
>> Sounds like anaconda could do with cribbing yum's code for falling back
>> to alternate mirrors when it can't find a file on the first mirror it
>> tries.
>
> I'm pretty sure anaconda already uses yum for this. IIRC, giving a
> repo to anaconda via kickstart is like specifying baseurl to yum,
> which also doesn't fall back. You need mirrorlist for that
> functionality.
>
> josh

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#repo for specific instructions on how to supply a mirror list in kickstart.

- jlk

Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Jos Vos

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:55:53PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:

> See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#repo for specific instructions on how to supply a mirror list in kickstart.

But isn't it so that yum/anaconda stay with the same mirror once one
is selected?

My problem was that --mirrorlist didn't work because the selected
mirror probably had an inconsistent repo (I tried 2 or 3 installs
that all failed) and I had to specify a well-known mirror with
--baseurl to solve this problem.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 23:22 +0200, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:55:53PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#repo for specific instructions on how to supply a mirror list in kickstart.
>
> But isn't it so that yum/anaconda stay with the same mirror once one
> is selected?

No. If an update includes package foo-1.0-1.fc16, and the initially
selected repo doesn't have that package, yum cycles through other repos
on the list until it finds one which does have the package. It only
fails if it can't find any repo with the package.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey