Old 08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Kevin Kofler

Default kde-settings License now MIT

Hi,

Until today, kde-settings' License tag was declared as "Public Domain".

This made sense when all it contained was configuration settings such as
foo=false, which are clearly not a form of creative expression, but these
days kde-settings is growing some code snippets, e.g.:
* RPM dependency extractors
* possibly a Plasma initialization script
Those code snippets are probably copyrightable, and it is not legal for us
European contributors to just declare them Public Domain.

I have discussed this issue with the other contributors, and we agreed to
put kde-settings under the MIT License, in particular this variant:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:MIT#Modern_Style_with_sublicense
which is the default license for Code contributions to Fedora, and which is
effectively as permissive as Public Domain, but legally sound worldwide.

As a result, the License tag in kde-settings-4.7-6.fc17 has changed to:
License: MIT

Please note that the kde-settings-pulseaudio subpackage is still Public
Domain because it contains literally nothing to copyright and license. (It
is an empty metapackage.)

Kevin Kofler