Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Default floppy support

On 08/30/2011 08:02 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> There are still things in the real world that exclusively use floppy
> disks, and they aren't going away as rapidly as some seem to think.

No need to tell me. I work everyday with SCO Unix machines that have no
idea what a USB device is. I've just found alternatives.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:50 PM
Tom Hughes

On 30/08/11 14:23, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> I'll need to test it. Right now I use explicit modprobe commands in
> rc.local, which isn't good for packages. I looked at modprobe.conf
> documentation and it doesn't seem like it uses those files to determine
> what to load, only what to do if it is loaded. So it may be that udev
> is really the correct place to do things.

Or modules-load.d if you want to force load a module.

tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/

Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:50:10PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 30/08/11 14:23, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> >I'll need to test it. Right now I use explicit modprobe commands in
> >rc.local, which isn't good for packages. I looked at modprobe.conf
> >documentation and it doesn't seem like it uses those files to determine
> >what to load, only what to do if it is loaded. So it may be that udev
> >is really the correct place to do things.
>
> Or modules-load.d if you want to force load a module.

Oops. Yes, that's what I meant.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 08-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Felix Miata

On 2011/08/30 08:40 (GMT+0200) drago01 composed:

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Bill Nottingham

Matthew Garrett (mjg59@srcf.ucam.org) said:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:50:10PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > On 30/08/11 14:23, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >
> > >I'll need to test it. Right now I use explicit modprobe commands in
> > >rc.local, which isn't good for packages. I looked at modprobe.conf
> > >documentation and it doesn't seem like it uses those files to determine
> > >what to load, only what to do if it is loaded. So it may be that udev
> > >is really the correct place to do things.
> >
> > Or modules-load.d if you want to force load a module.
>
> Oops. Yes, that's what I meant.

Is there a reason that (at least for the one case) this wouldn't just
go in the joystick package?

Bill

Old 08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Matthew Garrett

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:49:37AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matthew Garrett (mjg59@srcf.ucam.org) said:
> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:50:10PM +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> > > Or modules-load.d if you want to force load a module.
> >
> > Oops. Yes, that's what I meant.
>
> Is there a reason that (at least for the one case) this wouldn't just
> go in the joystick package?

Joystick seems to be part of the default install (it handles USB devices
as well as legacy ones), and we probably wouldn't want this by default.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Przemek Klosowski

On 08/30/2011 09:02 AM, Chris Adams wrote:

> It isn't why I use floppies under Linux, but my mother's very expensive
> computerized embroidery machine uses floppies to transfer patterns.
> There are still things in the real world that exclusively use floppy
> disks, and they aren't going away as rapidly as some seem to think.

I feel your pain; a lot of perfectly good lab equipment has floppies
too, but whenever practical, I'd recommend a USB floppy drive emulator
from ipcas or http://www.rioc.us/ufr-usb-floppy-replacement.php or
http://www.floppytousb.com/

Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Jef Spaleta

I feel your pain; a lot of perfectly good lab equipment has floppies

too, but whenever practical, I'd recommend a USB floppy drive emulator

from ipcas or http://www.rioc.us/ufr-usb-floppy-replacement.php or

http://www.floppytousb.com/

I take it those usb based external floppy readers are auto-detected like sane hardware should be?

-jef

Old 08-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Przemek Klosowski

On 08/30/2011 03:18 PM, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Przemek Klosowski
> <przemek.klosowski@nist.gov <mailtorzemek.klosowski@nist.gov>> wrote:
>
> I feel your pain; a lot of perfectly good lab equipment has floppies
> too, but whenever practical, I'd recommend a USB floppy drive emulator
> from ipcas or http://www.rioc.us/ufr-usb-floppy-replacement.php or
> http://www.floppytousb.com/
>

> I take it those usb based external floppy readers are auto-detected like
> sane hardware should be?

They connect to the floppy cable and look like a floppy drive.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Jef Spaleta

They connect to the floppy cable and look like a floppy drive.

Bah, I'd think you'd want to go the other way if you could get an external usb based floppy reader which is autodetected on the usb bus.* Anything that hangs off the onboard floppy controller is going to need some lovin.

-jef