-   -   Memory requirements (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/568819-memory-requirements.html)

Rahul Sundaram 08-27-2011 06:54 AM

Memory requirements

> 768 MB!!!
>
> When I want to stuff as many VMs onto a virtual machine as possible,
> RAM usage really matters. Particularly since RAM is currently cheap
> up to about 8 GB but becomes much more expensive above that (ie. up to
> about 6 VMs with all the overhead).

Many of us still have to deal with systems which don't have as much RAM
and it is a problem that Anaconda takes up so much more memory than what
a system uses post-installation. 256 MB would be ok. 512 MB is
acceptable. Anything beyond that seems excessive.

Rahul

Andre Robatino 08-27-2011 08:08 AM

Memory requirements

Richard W.M. Jones <rjones <at> redhat.com> writes:

> 768 MB!!!
>
> When I want to stuff as many VMs onto a virtual machine as possible,
> RAM usage really matters. Particularly since RAM is currently cheap
> up to about 8 GB but becomes much more expensive above that (ie. up to
> about 6 VMs with all the overhead).

You can install a virtual guest using extra RAM (assuming your host has it) and
then reduce it afterwards. AFAIK, the amount needed to run an already installed
system is no greater than before.

"Richard W.M. Jones" 08-27-2011 04:35 PM

Memory requirements

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 08:08:20AM +0000, Andre Robatino wrote:
> Richard W.M. Jones <rjones <at> redhat.com> writes:
>
> > 768 MB!!!
> >
> > When I want to stuff as many VMs onto a virtual machine as possible,
> > RAM usage really matters. Particularly since RAM is currently cheap
> > up to about 8 GB but becomes much more expensive above that (ie. up to
> > about 6 VMs with all the overhead).
>
> You can install a virtual guest using extra RAM (assuming your host has it) and
> then reduce it afterwards. AFAIK, the amount needed to run an already installed
> system is no greater than before.

Why does it need so much to start with? It's just a graphical program
that asks a few questions and then installs a few packages. Can't see
why it would need such huge amounts of RAM.

Rich.

Dave Jones 08-27-2011 08:01 PM

Memory requirements

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 05:35:19PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Why does it need so much to start with?

Because the installer initrd contains the kitchen sink.

Dave

Michael Cronenworth 08-29-2011 08:00 PM

Memory requirements

Brian C. Lane wrote:
> selinux is a big example of
> this, causing a large spike as it is installed.

That should[1] no longer be an issue.

[1] http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/45414.html

Jeremiah Summers 08-29-2011 10:04 PM

Memory requirements

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Brian C. Lane wrote:
>> selinux is a big example of
>> this, causing a large spike as it is installed.
>
> That should[1] no longer be an issue.
>
> [1] http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/45414.html

I just repatched Anaconda to use 512M, it's slow for LiveMedia but it
works fine. Not sure why it was bumped to 768M I haven;t had any
issues yet, in virtual or physical environments.

Felix Miata 08-29-2011 10:37 PM

Memory requirements

On 2011/08/29 15:04 (GMT-0700) Jeremiah Summers composed:

> I just repatched Anaconda to use 512M

Literally? If so, does that work on systems with 512M installed but with 8M
allocated to an onboard video chip?

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/

Adam Williamson 08-30-2011 04:16 AM

Memory requirements

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:04 -0700, Jeremiah Summers wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> > Brian C. Lane wrote:
> >> selinux is a big example of
> >> this, causing a large spike as it is installed.
> >
> > That should[1] no longer be an issue.
> >
> > [1] http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/45414.html
> > --
> >

> I just repatched Anaconda to use 512M, it's slow for LiveMedia but it
> works fine. Not sure why it was bumped to 768M I haven;t had any
> issues yet, in virtual or physical environments.

live install is different from traditional install as it isn't
installing any packages; no rpm scripts are run and take up resources.
it's just dumping an image file to the hard disk.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Jeremiah Summers 08-30-2011 08:33 PM

Memory requirements

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2011/08/29 15:04 (GMT-0700) Jeremiah Summers composed:
>
>> I just repatched Anaconda to use 512M
>
> Literally? If so, does that work on systems with 512M installed but with 8M
> allocated to an onboard video chip?
> --
> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)
>
> *Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!
>
> Felix Miata **** *http://fm.no-ip.com/

Yes Literally I did, but as Adam just pointed out running Live just
dumps the squashfs image to the drive and slaps grud on it. I'm not
sure about the install, however I have been tweaking initrd's for
doing a netinstall, I may just find out soon. I wonder though is there
a way to allow Anaconda to be semi smart and realize here I'm running
livecd let's bump down that mem require. In that case it would allow
those a install method with low mem.

Kind Regards,

Jeremiah

Bruno Wolff III 08-30-2011 08:36 PM

Memory requirements

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 13:33:06 -0700,
Jeremiah Summers <jmiahman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes Literally I did, but as Adam just pointed out running Live just
> dumps the squashfs image to the drive and slaps grud on it. I'm not

It actually dumps the ext4 image on the drive and then resizes it to
fit the available space. The ext4 image is stored compressed inside
of a squashfs file system on the live image.

It would be nice to get rid of the embedded ext4 image now that squashfs
supports special files and extended attributes (needed for selinuix labels),
but there are some other roadblocks that will block that change for the near
future.