-   -   Memory requirements (was: Fedora 16 Alpha i386 does not install in VMWare) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/568815-memory-requirements-fedora-16-alpha-i386-does-not-install-vmware.html)

"Richard W.M. Jones" 08-27-2011 06:47 AM

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 06:47:37PM -0500, David Lehman wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 23:13 -0700, alan@clueserver.org wrote:
> > I have tried installing Fedora 16 alpha (i386 version) on VMWare player
> > and it dies starting up the installer.
> >
> > It also dies trying to install on my CTL 2GO pad. (Atom based tablet.)
>
> Same type of death as the vmware?
>

> > Any ideas why?
>
> If you have less than 768M of memory you could have problems unpacking
> the initrd and/or starting the installer.

768 MB!!!

When I want to stuff as many VMs onto a virtual machine as possible,
RAM usage really matters. Particularly since RAM is currently cheap
up to about 8 GB but becomes much more expensive above that (ie. up to
about 6 VMs with all the overhead).

I can still run Debian VMs in 128 MB and do useful stuff with them
like light dynamic web serving.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top