Old 08-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Nathan Owe

Default c-icap

I am currently working on packaging c-icap I get the following error using rpmlint:
rpmlint /var/lib/mock/fedora-15-x86_64/result/c-icap-0.1.6-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
c-icap.x86_64: E: explicit-lib-dependency zlib
c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-libicapapi-config
c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-config

I know what they mean. The first error is true because during the configure process I noticed that it gave a warning that zlib is needed for the program's internal file-type recognizer to work.

Now the last two, well can the last two actually be development files? I never thought a binary file would be considered a development file. I am asking that since I wanted to make sure there wasn't an error in the rpmlint's output.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Nathan Owe <ndowens04@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on packaging c-icap I get the following error using rpmlint:
> rpmlint /var/lib/mock/fedora-15-x86_64/result/c-icap-0.1.6-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
> c-icap.x86_64: E: explicit-lib-dependency zlib
> c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-libicapapi-config
> c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-config
>
> I know what they mean. The first error is true because during the configure process I noticed that it gave a warning that zlib is needed for the program's internal file-type recognizer to work.
>
> Now the last two, well can the last two actually be development files? I never thought a binary file would be considered a development file. I am asking that since I wanted to make sure there wasn't an error in the rpmlint's output.
> --

are you submitting the package for review ?

what are the address of review request ?

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Nathan Owe

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:14:05 -0300
Itamar Reis Peixoto <itamar@ispbrasil.com.br> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Nathan Owe <ndowens04@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I am currently working on packaging c-icap I get the following
> > error using rpmlint:
> > rpmlint /var/lib/mock/fedora-15-x86_64/result/c-icap-0.1.6-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
> > c-icap.x86_64: E: explicit-lib-dependency zlib c-icap.x86_64: W:
> > devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-libicapapi-config
> > c-icap.x86_64: W:
> > devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-config
> >
> > I know what they mean. The first error is true because during the
> > configure process I noticed that it gave a warning that zlib is
> > needed for the program's internal file-type recognizer to work.
> >
> > Now the last two, well can the last two actually be development
> > files? I never thought a binary file would be considered a
> > development file. I am asking that since I wanted to make sure
> > there wasn't an error in the rpmlint's output. --
>
> are you submitting the package for review ?
>
> what are the address of review request ?

Sorry I forgot to mention if I have submitted it yet or not. I currently haven't submitted it yet. I am currently trying to submit it error free from rpmlint. I am thinking it as a possiblity, that rpmlint is reporting it maybe because they end in -config?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Martin Gieseking

Am 22.08.2011 02:56, schrieb Nathan Owe:
> I am currently working on packaging c-icap I get the following error
> using rpmlint: rpmlint
> /var/lib/mock/fedora-15-x86_64/result/c-icap-0.1.6-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
> c-icap.x86_64: E: explicit-lib-dependency zlib c-icap.x86_64: W:
> devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-libicapapi-config
> c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package
> /usr/bin/c-icap-config

[...]

> Now the last two, well can the last two actually be development
> files? I never thought a binary file would be considered a
> development file. I am asking that since I wanted to make sure there
> wasn't an error in the rpmlint's output.

Hi Nathan,

filenames that match ".*/bin/.+-config$" are regarded as build-config
files (like libpng-config, freetype-config, etc.), and these kind of
-config files should go into a devel package. However, in your case the
rpmlint warnings seem to be false positive and can probably be ignored.
The reviewer should have a look at them, though.

Regards,
Martin

Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
"Trever L. Adams"

On 08/21/2011 06:56 PM, Nathan Owe wrote:
> I am currently working on packaging c-icap I get the following error using rpmlint:
> rpmlint /var/lib/mock/fedora-15-x86_64/result/c-icap-0.1.6-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm
> c-icap.x86_64: E: explicit-lib-dependency zlib
> c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-libicapapi-config
> c-icap.x86_64: W: devel-file-in-non-devel-package /usr/bin/c-icap-config
>
> I know what they mean. The first error is true because during the configure process I noticed that it gave a warning that zlib is needed for the program's internal file-type recognizer to work.
>
> Now the last two, well can the last two actually be development files? I never thought a binary file would be considered a development file. I am asking that since I wanted to make sure there wasn't an error in the rpmlint's output.
Nathan, as I am developing a content classification module for c-icap
(which when used with Squid or other ACLs makes a great Internet filter)
I have some rpm spec files I use to build c-icap. I do not have the time
to be the maintainer of the package for Fedora. However, if you would
like I can provide you with my spec file and the packaging shell script
I use. You would be more than welcome to grab it and use it provided the
official spec has all references to me removed.

If you are interested, let me know.

Trever
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Kevin Kofler

Nathan Owe wrote:
> I know what they mean. The first error is true because during the
> configure process I noticed that it gave a warning that zlib is needed for
> the program's internal file-type recognizer to work.

Then you probably need BuildRequires: zlib-devel, NOT Requires: zlib!

Kevin Kofler