FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Default services enabled

On 08/17/2011 07:59 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble finding a policy on which systemd units may be
> enabled by default.
>
> The case I'm interested in particularly is cups.socket, cups.path,
> cups.service.
>
> What's the current policy, and where can I find it on the wiki?

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default

Rahul
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Default services enabled

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 20:04 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default

Ah, thanks. So it looks like CUPS can be enabled by default:

"If a service does not require configuration to be functional and is not
network enabled, it may be enabled by default"

(The default CUPS configuration is localhost-only)

In the light of this I'll enable cups.path (to allow printing jobs which
are queued, on boot) and cups.socket (to allow on-demand start).

I'll leave cups.service out because that's only required for
network-enabled configurations -- but perhaps that needs a release note?

Tim.
*/

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Rahul Sundaram
 
Default Default services enabled

On 08/17/2011 08:47 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> I'll leave cups.service out because that's only required for
> network-enabled configurations -- but perhaps that needs a release
> note? Tim. */

Yes. You can add it here

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Printing_Beat

Rahul
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Chris Adams
 
Default Default services enabled

Once upon a time, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> said:
> On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 20:04 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Starting_services_by_default
>
> Ah, thanks. So it looks like CUPS can be enabled by default:
>
> "If a service does not require configuration to be functional and is not
> network enabled, it may be enabled by default"

Is CUPS functional without any configuration? How do you print without
configuring a printer?

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Default services enabled

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 10:33 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Is CUPS functional without any configuration? How do you print without
> configuring a printer?

By plugging one in.

Tim.
*/

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Default services enabled

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 21:02 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 08/17/2011 08:47 PM, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > I'll leave cups.service out because that's only required for
> > network-enabled configurations -- but perhaps that needs a release
> > note? Tim. */
>
> Yes. You can add it here
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Printing_Beat

Oh, I just noticed this:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines:Systemd#Socket_activation
"Since Fedora currently doesn't want any services to do on-demand
loading, all socket activated services must autostart."

So I'll also enable cups.service.

Tim.
*/

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default Default services enabled

Tim Waugh wrote:
> So I'll also enable cups.service.

Are you pushing this change into Fedora 16?
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Default services enabled

On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 10:46 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Are you pushing this change into Fedora 16?

Once it's built, yes, to fix:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=731421

Tim.
*/

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Lennart Poettering
 
Default Default services enabled

On Wed, 17.08.11 16:43, Tim Waugh (twaugh@redhat.com) wrote:

> Oh, I just noticed this:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines:Systemd#Socket_activation
> "Since Fedora currently doesn't want any services to do on-demand
> loading, all socket activated services must autostart."

Uh, oh. I think CUPS is definitely something we should lazily socket
activate instead of run it unconditionally.

Spot, Bill, what's the reason for this wording in the guidelines? As
CUPS is something we really should start only when needed, why do we
have this wording in the guidelines? Can we relax this?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default Default services enabled

Lennart Poettering (mzerqung@0pointer.de) said:
> > Oh, I just noticed this:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines:Systemd#Socket_activation
> > "Since Fedora currently doesn't want any services to do on-demand
> > loading, all socket activated services must autostart."
>
> Uh, oh. I think CUPS is definitely something we should lazily socket
> activate instead of run it unconditionally.
>
> Spot, Bill, what's the reason for this wording in the guidelines? As
> CUPS is something we really should start only when needed, why do we
> have this wording in the guidelines? Can we relax this?

I'm trying to remember. Perhaps it stemmed from the side consequence of
needing to know if a particular service had a socket entry, and therefore
you needed to disable both to disable a service? (I do recall there being
issues with socket-activated NetworkManager for reasons along these
lines.)

For something like cups, would this impose a significant delay in things
such as the GTK or QT print dialog, if opening that dialog causes the
cups daemon to then start?

Bill
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org