Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Jesse Keating

Default Default services enabled

On Aug 24, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jesse Keating (jkeating@j2solutions.net) said:
>> Some of the argument here is that it is difficult to do this from a remote host. You'd have to engage in remote execution of software, e.g. using nagios nrpe to remotely (from the nagios system) execute commands on the database system to call systemd to check the status of the db.
>>
>> This is a shift from previous environments where you could just poke at the network socket from the nagios system and parse the reply.
>
> Sure, but there's nothing that says you *have* to set up your
> internet-facing services as socket-activated. (In fact, quite the opposite.)
>
> Bill

oh of course not. I was just trying to shed light on where some of the argument was coming from.

- jlk

Old 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Tim Waugh

Actually there is another reason for socket activation to use AF_INET as
well as AF_UNIX: doing so prevents e.g. rpc.statd from port-squatting.
In fact, this is why CUPS no longer ships to ship a portreserve file.

Tim.
*/