Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/562133-heads-up-e2fsprogs-1-42-wip-0702-pushed-rawhide.html)

Eric Sandeen 08-09-2011 01:15 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
... now, finally, with more 64-bit-ness!

>From Ted:

> I've made the first WIP release of e2fsprogs 1.42. The primary purpose
> is for people to test the 64-bit functionality and be confident that we
> didn't introduce any 32-bit regressions.

So in theory you can at least mfks & mount a 16T fs and beyond, if you'd
like to test that.

There was also enough surgery that testing it against older, smaller
filesystems is welcomed too.

Thanks,
-Eric
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Rahul Sundaram 08-10-2011 12:59 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On 08/09/2011 06:45 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> I've made the first WIP release of e2fsprogs 1.42. The primary purpose
>> is for people to test the 64-bit functionality and be confident that we
>> didn't introduce any 32-bit regressions.
> So in theory you can at least mfks & mount a 16T fs and beyond, if you'd
> like to test that.

Isn't this just a snapshot? In that case, the package should follow the
standard naming guidelines

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages

Rahul
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Eric Sandeen 08-10-2011 05:17 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On 08/10/2011 07:59 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:45 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>>> I've made the first WIP release of e2fsprogs 1.42. The primary purpose
>>> is for people to test the 64-bit functionality and be confident that we
>>> didn't introduce any 32-bit regressions.
>> So in theory you can at least mfks & mount a 16T fs and beyond, if you'd
>> like to test that.
>
> Isn't this just a snapshot? In that case, the package should follow the
> standard naming guidelines
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages
>
> Rahul

As far as I know, I did.

If I did something wrong, can you provide me with some details?

-Eric
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Eric Sandeen 08-10-2011 05:53 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On 08/10/2011 07:59 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:45 PM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>>> I've made the first WIP release of e2fsprogs 1.42. The primary purpose
>>> is for people to test the 64-bit functionality and be confident that we
>>> didn't introduce any 32-bit regressions.
>> So in theory you can at least mfks & mount a 16T fs and beyond, if you'd
>> like to test that.
>
> Isn't this just a snapshot? In that case, the package should follow the
> standard naming guidelines
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Pre-Release_packages
>
> Rahul

The subject has upstream's name/version, but as packaged, it's:

Package Name e2fsprogs
Version 1.42
Release 0.1.WIP.0702.fc17

which is correct, AFAICT.

-Eric
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Eric Sandeen 09-26-2011 07:51 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On 8/9/11 8:15 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> ... now, finally, with more 64-bit-ness!
>
> From Ted:
>
>> I've made the first WIP release of e2fsprogs 1.42. The primary purpose
>> is for people to test the 64-bit functionality and be confident that we
>> didn't introduce any 32-bit regressions.
>
> So in theory you can at least mfks & mount a 16T fs and beyond, if you'd
> like to test that.
>
> There was also enough surgery that testing it against older, smaller
> filesystems is welcomed too.
>
> Thanks,
> -Eric

Another little heads up - a newer snapshot is built in rawhide now.

Anyone who wants to fiddle with large ext4 filesystems, have at
it please!

Thanks,
-Eric
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

"Richard W.M. Jones" 10-03-2011 06:13 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 02:51:33PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Another little heads up - a newer snapshot is built in rawhide now.
>
> Anyone who wants to fiddle with large ext4 filesystems, have at
> it please!

Is there any background information to this change that I can read?

I created a 2**60 byte disk, partitioned it, and tried to create an
ext4 filesystem on it, but that doesn't work:

><rescue> mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/vda1
mke2fs 1.42-WIP (25-Sep-2011)

Warning: the fs_type huge is not defined in mke2fs.conf

/dev/vda1: Cannot create filesystem with requested number of inodes while setting up superblock
><rescue> parted /dev/vda print
Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
Disk /dev/vda: 1126TB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 32.8kB 1126TB 1126TB p1

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
live CD or over the network (PXE) and turn machines into Xen guests.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Eric Sandeen 10-03-2011 08:10 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On 10/3/11 1:13 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 02:51:33PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> Another little heads up - a newer snapshot is built in rawhide now.
>>
>> Anyone who wants to fiddle with large ext4 filesystems, have at
>> it please!
>
> Is there any background information to this change that I can read?
>
> I created a 2**60 byte disk, partitioned it, and tried to create an
> ext4 filesystem on it, but that doesn't work:

heh; going for the gusto I see!

Can we maybe start with a mere 500 terabytes? ;)

> ><rescue> mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/vda1
> mke2fs 1.42-WIP (25-Sep-2011)
>
> Warning: the fs_type huge is not defined in mke2fs.conf

Icky, but unrelated to below, I think

> /dev/vda1: Cannot create filesystem with requested number of inodes while setting up superblock

sounds like it calculated an inode ratio that put it over the 2^32 inode nr. limit.

I'll look into it.

Thanks,
-Eric

> ><rescue> parted /dev/vda print
> Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
> Disk /dev/vda: 1126TB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: gpt
>
> Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
> 1 32.8kB 1126TB 1126TB p1
>
> Rich.
>

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

"Richard W.M. Jones" 10-03-2011 09:05 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 03:10:43PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 10/3/11 1:13 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 02:51:33PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> >> Another little heads up - a newer snapshot is built in rawhide now.
> >>
> >> Anyone who wants to fiddle with large ext4 filesystems, have at
> >> it please!
> >
> > Is there any background information to this change that I can read?
> >
> > I created a 2**60 byte disk, partitioned it, and tried to create an
> > ext4 filesystem on it, but that doesn't work:
>
> heh; going for the gusto I see!
>
> Can we maybe start with a mere 500 terabytes? ;)

Well I started with 2**63-513, but sadly qemu has a bug that prevents
me from writing to such a disk ...

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/maximum-qcow2-disk-size/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/865518

> > ><rescue> mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/vda1
> > mke2fs 1.42-WIP (25-Sep-2011)
> >
> > Warning: the fs_type huge is not defined in mke2fs.conf
>
> Icky, but unrelated to below, I think
>
> > /dev/vda1: Cannot create filesystem with requested number of inodes while setting up superblock
>
> sounds like it calculated an inode ratio that put it over the 2^32 inode nr. limit.
>
> I'll look into it.

Thanks. Let me know if/when there's anything else I can test.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
Read my programming blog: http://rwmj.wordpress.com
Fedora now supports 80 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)
http://cocan.org/getting_started_with_ocaml_on_red_hat_and_fedora
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Eric Sandeen 10-03-2011 09:11 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On 10/3/11 4:05 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 03:10:43PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> On 10/3/11 1:13 PM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 02:51:33PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>>>> Another little heads up - a newer snapshot is built in rawhide now.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone who wants to fiddle with large ext4 filesystems, have at
>>>> it please!
>>>
>>> Is there any background information to this change that I can read?
>>>
>>> I created a 2**60 byte disk, partitioned it, and tried to create an
>>> ext4 filesystem on it, but that doesn't work:
>>
>> heh; going for the gusto I see!
>>
>> Can we maybe start with a mere 500 terabytes? ;)
>
> Well I started with 2**63-513, but sadly qemu has a bug that prevents
> me from writing to such a disk ...
>
> https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/maximum-qcow2-disk-size/
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/865518
>
>>> ><rescue> mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/vda1
>>> mke2fs 1.42-WIP (25-Sep-2011)
>>>
>>> Warning: the fs_type huge is not defined in mke2fs.conf
>>
>> Icky, but unrelated to below, I think
>>
>>> /dev/vda1: Cannot create filesystem with requested number of inodes while setting up superblock
>>
>> sounds like it calculated an inode ratio that put it over the 2^32 inode nr. limit.
>>
>> I'll look into it.
>
> Thanks. Let me know if/when there's anything else I can test.

testing something more real-world (20T ... 500T?) might still be interesting.

I'm finding a couple issues already right up at the theoretical max limit,
just at mkfs time :(

-Eric

> Rich.
>

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

"Richard W.M. Jones" 10-03-2011 10:13 PM

Heads up: e2fsprogs-1.42-WIP-0702 pushed to rawhide
 
On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 04:11:28PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> testing something more real-world (20T ... 500T?) might still be interesting.

Here's my test script:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 test1.img 500T &&
guestfish -a test1.img
memsize 4096 : run :
part-disk /dev/vda gpt : mkfs ext4 /dev/vda1

The guestfish "mkfs" command translates directly to "mke2fs -t ext4"
in this case.

500T: fails with the same error:

/dev/vda1: Cannot create filesystem with requested number of inodes while setting up superblock

By a process of bisection I found that I get the same error for
all sizes >= 255T.

For 254T, I get:

/dev/vda1: Memory allocation failed while setting up superblock

I wasn't able to give the VM enough memory to make this succeed. I've
only got 8G on this laptop. Should I need large amounts of memory to
create these filesystems?

At 100T it doesn't run out of memory, but the man behind the curtain
starts to show. The underlying qcow2 file grows to several gigs and I
had to kill it. I need to play with the lazy init features of ext4.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-p2v converts physical machines to virtual machines. Boot with a
live CD or over the network (PXE) and turn machines into Xen guests.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:14 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.