Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Stijn Hoop

Default XDG and default directories ( Adding ~/.local/bin to default PATH)

Hi,

aside from the merits of adding ~/.local/bin, I just wanted to point
out:

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:19:51 +0200
Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net> wrote:
> It's all been done to make nautilus happy with "user-friendly"
> "localized" names on the user desktop (aping the windows mess). And
> now gnome3 people have decided shortcuts on the desktop are a bad
> idea so the whole justification for those choices does not exist
> anymore.

I disagree with this personal assessment; I and some of our users
instead like the fact that there is now a standard area where to put
downloads, and even better is the fact that I can now put that area
somewhere else than on our default stupidly-expensive backupped NFS
filesystem.

There are a lot better reasons for them than "aping windows mess". Now
if only more programs understood those reasons as well...

--Stijn