Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

Default rawhide openssh-server update kills sshd

On 07/26/2011 12:22 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> <snip>
> service ssh restart

Would that be:

service sshd restart

?

OldFart

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Jim Meyering

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 12:22 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> <snip>
>> service ssh restart
>
> Would that be:
>
> service sshd restart

Yes, thanks.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Dave Jones

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:22:50PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> FYI, I've just yum-updated my rawhide VM to the latest
> (but not from the console) and was surprised to lose the connection
> while it was happening. Again. It happened to me last week, too.
>
> I got back in via the console and tried to reinstall it via "yum
> reinstall openssh-server". That failed (sorry, didn't record the diagnostic).
>
> Just dug a little and found this was reported a week ago:
>
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/722625

It bit me again yesterday, this time while in a screen session
(I thought I'd learn from the earlier mistake). When I logged back in,
somehow the screen session had vanished.

This behaviour from sshd is pretty nasty. I don't recall it ever
doing this before on updates, so why does it start doing it now ?

arguably that bz should be reassigned to sshd, as that's the root cause
for yum freaking out.

Dave

Old 07-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Paul Howarth

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:13:59 -0400
Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:22:50PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> > FYI, I've just yum-updated my rawhide VM to the latest
> > (but not from the console) and was surprised to lose the connection
> > while it was happening. Again. It happened to me last week, too.
> >
> > I got back in via the console and tried to reinstall it via "yum
> > reinstall openssh-server". That failed (sorry, didn't record the
> > diagnostic).
> >
> > Just dug a little and found this was reported a week ago:
> >
> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/722625
>
> It bit me again yesterday, this time while in a screen session
> (I thought I'd learn from the earlier mistake). When I logged back in,
> somehow the screen session had vanished.
>
> This behaviour from sshd is pretty nasty. I don't recall it ever
> doing this before on updates, so why does it start doing it now ?
>
> arguably that bz should be reassigned to sshd, as that's the root
> cause for yum freaking out.

Perhaps it's because in %postun it has "systemctl try-restart
sshd.service" where it used to have "service sshd condrestart", and
systemd kills all running sshd processes whereas the old one only
killed the main one and not the children?

Paul.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
James Antill

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 21:28 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 16:13:59 -0400
> Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 06:22:50PM +0200, Jim Meyering wrote:
> > > FYI, I've just yum-updated my rawhide VM to the latest
> > > (but not from the console) and was surprised to lose the connection
> > > while it was happening. Again. It happened to me last week, too.
> > >
> > > I got back in via the console and tried to reinstall it via "yum
> > > reinstall openssh-server". That failed (sorry, didn't record the
> > > diagnostic).
> > >
> > > Just dug a little and found this was reported a week ago:
> > >
> > > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/722625
> >
> > It bit me again yesterday, this time while in a screen session
> > (I thought I'd learn from the earlier mistake). When I logged back in,
> > somehow the screen session had vanished.
> >
> > This behaviour from sshd is pretty nasty. I don't recall it ever
> > doing this before on updates, so why does it start doing it now ?
> >
> > arguably that bz should be reassigned to sshd, as that's the root
> > cause for yum freaking out.
>
> Perhaps it's because in %postun it has "systemctl try-restart
> sshd.service" where it used to have "service sshd condrestart", and
> systemd kills all running sshd processes whereas the old one only
> killed the main one and not the children?

It looks more like the first victim of systemd using cgroups as a
replacement for setsid() etc. ... pam_systemd being the first return
volley in that war. *sigh*.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Tue, 26.07.11 17:16, James Antill (james@fedoraproject.org) wrote:

> > Perhaps it's because in %postun it has "systemctl try-restart
> > sshd.service" where it used to have "service sshd condrestart", and
> > systemd kills all running sshd processes whereas the old one only
> > killed the main one and not the children?
>
> It looks more like the first victim of systemd using cgroups as a
> replacement for setsid() etc. ... pam_systemd being the first return
> volley in that war. *sigh*.

systemd is not using cgroups as replacement for setsid().

If restarting sshd kills the sshs sessions then my guess is that
pam_systemd is not enabled (or somehow failing) and hence user sessions
stay members of the sshd cgroup instead of getting their own.

When you log in via ssh, and do "cat /proc/self/cgroup", in which cgroup
does your login shell appear to be running? (look for the name=systemd
line).

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Matthew Miller

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:46:30PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> If restarting sshd kills the sshs sessions then my guess is that
> pam_systemd is not enabled (or somehow failing) and hence user sessions
> stay members of the sshd cgroup instead of getting their own.

Lennart, is pam_systemd a requirement for the old behavior?

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org>

Old 07-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Bruno Wolff III

One thing to watch out for is /var/empty. I have had to manually recreate
/var/empty and /var/empty/sshd to get the server to work again. This
might be related to the recent rpm issue, but I am not sure about that.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Tomas Mraz

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 09:33 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> One thing to watch out for is /var/empty. I have had to manually recreate
> /var/empty and /var/empty/sshd to get the server to work again. This
> might be related to the recent rpm issue, but I am not sure about that.
Yes, it is related to the recent rpm issue and unfortunately to another
issue that rpm when upgrades a package that had
/<directory-path>/
to a package that has
/<the same directory-path>
it happily deletes the directory if it is empty on cleanup of the old
package. And the same happened when update was the other way when the
openssh rpm got broken by the rpm build.

--
Tomas Mraz
Turkish proverb

Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM
James Antill

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 23:46 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 26.07.11 17:16, James Antill (james@fedoraproject.org) wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps it's because in %postun it has "systemctl try-restart
> > > sshd.service" where it used to have "service sshd condrestart", and
> > > systemd kills all running sshd processes whereas the old one only
> > > killed the main one and not the children?
> >
> > It looks more like the first victim of systemd using cgroups as a
> > replacement for setsid() etc. ... pam_systemd being the first return
> > volley in that war. *sigh*.
>
> systemd is not using cgroups as replacement for setsid().

And then you go on to explain how pam_systemd is required so that it
can do the setsid() like "remove me from the session" call ... and thus.
not get hit with the kill() sent to the previous session.
I'm not saying that cgroups doesn't do _other_ things as well ... but
using it as a shiner setsid() is just doomed to a war where everyone
puts "cgroup calls" where setsid() calls currently are.