Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Andrew Haley

Default User-level instance of /bin in PATH

On 26/07/11 10:22, Misha Shnurapet wrote:

> Since F15 ~/bin has been added to PATH, and commands that are
> supposed to run user scripts will work without changing into that
> directory. Meanwhile, ~/.local/bin isn't used. I'd like to propose
> that it is also added because technically it is ~/bin's brother.

I've never heard of ~/.local/bin . Are there many people who use
this? ~/bin is common.

Andrew.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Misha Shnurapet

26.07.2011, 18:34, "Andrew Haley" <aph@redhat.com>:
> On 26/07/11 10:22, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>
>> *Since F15 ~/bin has been added to PATH, and commands that are
>> *supposed to run user scripts will work without changing into that
>> *directory. Meanwhile, ~/.local/bin isn't used. I'd like to propose
>> *that it is also added because technically it is ~/bin's brother.
>
> I've never heard of ~/.local/bin . *Are there many people who use
> this? *~/bin is common.

~/.local/bin has been there by default.

Unlike ~/bin, which is in PATH though not even created.

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode

Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/26/2011 08:03 AM, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
> 26.07.2011, 18:34, "Andrew Haley" <aph@redhat.com>:
>> On 26/07/11 10:22, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>>
>>> Since F15 ~/bin has been added to PATH, and commands that are
>>> supposed to run user scripts will work without changing into that
>>> directory. Meanwhile, ~/.local/bin isn't used. I'd like to propose
>>> that it is also added because technically it is ~/bin's brother.
>>
>> I've never heard of ~/.local/bin . Are there many people who use
>> this? ~/bin is common.
>
> ~/.local/bin has been there by default.
>
> Unlike ~/bin, which is in PATH though not even created.

Where in the path do the user 'bin' elements appear in the path?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Robert Marcano

On 07/26/2011 08:36 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 08:03 AM, Misha Shnurapet wrote:

>>> I've never heard of ~/.local/bin . Are there many people who use
>>> this? ~/bin is common.
>>
>> ~/.local/bin has been there by default.
>>
>> Unlike ~/bin, which is in PATH though not even created.
>>

> Where in the path do the user 'bin' elements appear in the path?

In /etc/skel/.bash_profile they are added to the end and I think that is ok

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin

Never knew about ~/.local/bin my .bash_profile is really old from the
time where the default was only ~/bin

Old 07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/26/2011 09:15 AM, Robert Marcano wrote:

> In /etc/skel/.bash_profile they are added to the end and I think that is ok
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin
>
> Never knew about ~/.local/bin my .bash_profile is really old from the
> time where the default was only ~/bin

Mmm ok ... Can I assume root is excepted from this?

Old 07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Emmanuel Seyman

* Genes MailLists [26/07/2011 15:14] :

> >> On 26/07/11 10:22, Misha Shnurapet wrote:
>
> > Unlike ~/bin, which is in PATH though not even created.

It's the other way round on my machine. Both are in my $PATH but ~/bin
exists (I may have created it by hand) and ~/.local/bin/ doesn't.

> Where in the path do the user 'bin' elements appear in the path?

These are defined by ~/.bash_profile which is copied from
/etc/skel/.bash_profile on account creation.

[manu@munshine ~]$ grep PATH /etc/skel/.bash_profile
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin
export PATH

Emmanuel

Old 07-26-2011, 01:34 PM
Emmanuel Seyman

* Genes MailLists [26/07/2011 15:32] :

> Mmm ok ... Can I assume root is excepted from this?

You can. That is the case.

Emmanuel

Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/26/2011 09:34 AM, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Genes MailLists [26/07/2011 15:32] :
>>
>> Mmm ok ... Can I assume root is excepted from this?
>
> You can. That is the case.
>
> Emmanuel

:-)

Old 07-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Robert Marcano

On 07/26/2011 09:04 AM, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> * Genes MailLists [26/07/2011 15:32] :
>>
>> Mmm ok ... Can I assume root is excepted from this?
>
> You can. That is the case.

a clean F15 install has PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin, not the same
/etc/skel/.bash_profile but still has ~/bin

Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 AM
Braden McDaniel

On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 08:45 -0430, Robert Marcano wrote:
> On 07/26/2011 08:36 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:

> >> ~/.local/bin has been there by default.
> >>
> >> Unlike ~/bin, which is in PATH though not even created.
> >>

> > Where in the path do the user 'bin' elements appear in the path?
>
> In /etc/skel/.bash_profile they are added to the end and I think that is ok
>
> PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin
>
> Never knew about ~/.local/bin my .bash_profile is really old from the
> time where the default was only ~/bin

Can someone explain (or point to) the rationale appending these to PATH
rather than prepending them? I would have expected user binaries to
supersede system ones.

--
Braden McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>