Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Tom Lane

Default Systemd transition prevents updating older release branches??

In
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:ScriptletSnippets#Systemd
I read that conversion of a package using a SysV initscript to systemd
units requires a trigger with a "< NEVR" condition, and that

# Note: the NEVR in trigger scripts should all be the version in
# which the package switched to systemd unit files and the comparision
# should be less than. Using <= the last version with the sysV script won't
# work for several reasons:
# 1) disttag is different between Fedora releases
# 2) An update in an old Fedora release may create a newer NEVR
# Note that this means an update in an older Fedora release must be NEVR
# lower than this. Freezing the version and release of the old package and
# using a number after the disttag is one way to do this. Example:
# httpd-1.0-1%{?dist} => httpd-1.0-1%{?dist}.1

IOW, once I push a mysql update with native systemd support into
rawhide, I'll be forbidden from ever rebasing mysql in F15 up to
a newer upstream patch release. Considering that upstream issues
bug-fix releases about once a month, this is hardly acceptable.

I'll have the same problem with postgresql, too.

What's seeming like a better option is to bump the package's Epoch
for the systemd-native release.

Discuss.

regards, tom lane