Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Thomas Woerner

Default Features firewalld-default and network-zones

Hello Jaroslav,

On 07/25/2011 05:04 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> On Monday, July 25, 2011 04:43:37 PM Thomas Woerner wrote:
>> Hello,
>
> Hi Thomas!
>
>> the features firewalld-default and network-zones will be postponed for
>> Fedora-17. The features are not ready yet and also the integration into
>> other projects. The network zone backend in NetworkManager is making
>> progress, but the front ends are not done yet.
>>
>> Without the front ends (nm-applet, gnome-shell, kdenetworkmanager) the
>> features are not usable and firewalld as the default firewall solution
>> does not make sense either.
>
> What's needed to be implemented in kde-nm to support firewalld? Are you in touch
> with upstream or it's upon us

the support for network zones needs to be added to kde-nm and the other
frontends as soon as the NetworkManager backend is ready and functional.
There is no support for firewalld needed in the frontends; the NM
backend is dealing with firewalld.

Here is a list of proposed changes for the frontends:

- A dialog to define the default network zones for wired and wireless
connections for initial setup and also for configuration changes.
- A zone selector for active connections in the primary UI.
- A zone selector in the connection editor.
- A way to enable and disable network zone support (by backend).

But this is still to discuss - the where and how and look and feel.

> Jaroslav

Thanks,
Thomas

--
Thomas Woerner
Software Engineer Phone: +49-711-96437-310

Old 07-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Thomas Woerner