Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 AM
"W. Michael Petullo"

Default Grubby and Xen

I have been working with a few other Fedora contributors on the Fedora 16
feature "XenPvopsDom0", http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0.
This feature would provide a robust virtualization alternative based on
Xen. Xen is a type-1, hypervisor-based platform and therefore has some
different properties than KVM, et al.

One of the integration points we'd like to improve has to do with
grubby. As it is hypervisor-based, Xen requires grub to be configured
a little differently than bare-metal Linux.

In summary, where bare-metal Linux needs:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-...
initrd /boot/initramgs-...

Xen requires:

kernel /boot/xen.gz
module /boot/vmlinuz-...
module /boot/initramfs-...

There are two bugs in Bugzilla related to this:

658387, Patch to allow mbkernel and mbargs to be read from /etc/sysconfig/kernel
668063, Grubby does not handle "template" that uses module keyword properly

Is anyone who is a grubby contributor interested in adding these features
to grubby to support the XenPvopsDom0 feature? I've provided a patch in
bug #658387.

Thanks,

--
Mike

:wq

Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Roman Rakus

On 07/25/2011 04:38 AM, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> I have been working with a few other Fedora contributors on the Fedora 16
> feature "XenPvopsDom0", http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0.
> This feature would provide a robust virtualization alternative based on
> Xen. Xen is a type-1, hypervisor-based platform and therefore has some
> different properties than KVM, et al.
>
> One of the integration points we'd like to improve has to do with
> grubby. As it is hypervisor-based, Xen requires grub to be configured
> a little differently than bare-metal Linux.
>
> In summary, where bare-metal Linux needs:
>
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-...
> initrd /boot/initramgs-...
>
> Xen requires:
>
> kernel /boot/xen.gz
> module /boot/vmlinuz-...
> module /boot/initramfs-...
>
> There are two bugs in Bugzilla related to this:
>
> 658387, Patch to allow mbkernel and mbargs to be read from /etc/sysconfig/kernel
> 668063, Grubby does not handle "template" that uses module keyword properly
>
> Is anyone who is a grubby contributor interested in adding these features
> to grubby to support the XenPvopsDom0 feature? I've provided a patch in
> bug #658387.
>
> Thanks,

Is it possible to use augeas [1]? There is currently lens for grub.conf

[1] http://augeas.net/

RR

Old 07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Adam Jackson

On 7/25/11 8:31 AM, Roman Rakus wrote:
> On 07/25/2011 04:38 AM, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
>> Is anyone who is a grubby contributor interested in adding these features
>> to grubby to support the XenPvopsDom0 feature? I've provided a patch in
>> bug #658387.
>>
> Is it possible to use augeas [1]? There is currently lens for grub.conf
>
> [1] http://augeas.net/

It may certainly be possible - and perhaps even desirable - to replace
grubby with augeas, but that's not really what he asked.

- ajax