Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Paul Howarth

Default Packaging python modules

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 16:26:34 -0500
Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was reviewing the guidelines and maybe I'm over thinking things but
> one part that doesn't seem to be clear...
>
> Ok I understand that if you have a pure python module it goes in
> %{python_sitelib} (/usr/lib) and if you have a C extension module it
> goes in %{python_sitearch} (/usr/lib for 32bit or /usr/lib64 for 64
> bit).
>
> What doesn't seem to be clear is if you have a package with a mixture
> do you install everything into %{python_sitearch} or do you put the
> .py's in %{python_sitelib} and the C extension modules in
> %{python_sitearch}...
>
> Looking in /usr/lib64 I see a lot of .py files, but that doesn't mean
> they're right

The python interpreter expects to find all parts of a module in the
same directory, so if there are C bits, everything goes in
%{python_sitearch}.

This is why all parts of the python-twisted stack are in arch-specific
packages even though most of the code is pure python for instance.

Paul.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Richard Shaw

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Paul Howarth <paul@city-fan.org> wrote:
> The python interpreter expects to find all parts of a module in the
> same directory, so if there are C bits, everything goes in
> %{python_sitearch}.

Thanks! That's what I needed! I'm trying to fix a package which is C
based but has python wrappers and it calls setup.py from within the
makefile. For some reason it want's to put everything in /usr/lib
instead of /usr/lib64 which --root and --prefix will not fix. I'm
trying --install-purelib now...

Thanks,
RIchard