Old 07-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Douglas Myers–Turnbull

Default Java 7 for Fedora 16

Hi,

Just something I wanted to bring to attention:

Java 7 is slated for release (after years of hassle and heated debate)
on 28 July, 2011.
I think this would be an important feature to include for the Fedora
16 release, and the months between Java's release and Fedora 16's 25
October release would allow plenty of time to integrate Java 7. If I'm
not mistaken, if Java 7 isn't released this time around, it won't be
in Fedora until the Fedora 17 release rolls around, nearly a year (!)
after Java 7 is released.

I created an unfinished, skeletal feature page here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7
Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge to help build it. I'm
announcing it here in case whoever maintains Java 6 in Fedora, or
someone else, is interested.

Thanks,
Douglas Myers-Turnbull