Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Reindl Harald

Default software-design in the past and now

first i changed the topic because it does not fit
anly longer to this thread

Am 23.07.2011 03:41, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 13:38 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> in the past there were real developers which was able to
>
> ah, the True Scotsman rears its head!

if you are not willing to quote in a way the context
does not get lost you SHOULD NOT reply, i put it at
the end of my answer!

my only intention is to wake up some people to remind them how
quality looks like and from which point something can "sold"
as GA and finally that throwing all away and start from scratch
is not automatically a sign of good work

rewriting from scratch CAN BE a good thing, but only if
FIRST ALL the features and user-experience is covered
on a new, clean and extendable code-base and AFTER
that new things can be implemented

why?
because if you not do this maybe your low-level design
does not fit the needs of the real world and then you
have a problem with 3 solutions:

* try to get the world turned around you and ignore it elseway
* start again because your software-design was faulty
* try to fix things somehow

if this happens you may lose the game and finally another guy will
come and start the next rewrite again in the hope make no hard mistakes

the last option may end in a dirty code-base which you wanted to
get rid of while you started to rewrite the software
_________________

Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2011-07-23 at 11:18 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> first i changed the topic because it does not fit
> anly longer to this thread
>
> Am 23.07.2011 03:41, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> > On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 13:38 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >
> >> in the past there were real developers which was able to
> >
> > ah, the True Scotsman rears its head!

The True Scotsman fallacy is a form of circular argument. Your argument
is 'REAL developers do (all the stuff I cut)', and your definition of a
'REAL developer' is...'someone who does (all the stuff I cut).' The
argument is perfectly circular and hence it's really just an assertion,
not an argument - 'I believe development should be done in this way'.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey