Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Raghu Siddarth

Default Standard for packaging Gtk and Qt front ends

Hello,

I am packaging a program that has two front ends, one for Gtk and other for Qt.

Is there a standard packaging structure to handle such packages?

I see two methods to do this :

1. Use an empty "meta" package that pulls in a default (gtk) front end. E.g :

Pname (meta) -> Pname-common -> Pname-gtk

Pname-gtk -> Pname-common and

Pname-qt -> Pname-gtk

Or,

2. Create sub packages for each front end, i.e *-gtk and *-qt, that depend on a common package. So :

Pname-gtk -> Pname

Pname-qt -> Pname

Which one should be used? or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks,

Raghu Udiyar

Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Rajeesh K Nambiar

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Raghu Siddarth <raghusiddarth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am packaging a program that has two front ends, one for Gtk and other for
> Qt.
>
> Is there a standard packaging structure to handle such packages?

I guess you can take a look at how "transmission" does this...

> I see two methods to do this :
>
> 1. Use an empty "meta" package that pulls in a default (gtk) front end. E.g
> :
>
> Pname (meta) -> Pname-common -> Pname-gtk
>
> Pname-gtk -> Pname-common and
>
> Pname-qt -> Pname-gtk
>
> Or,
>
> 2. Create sub packages for each front end, i.e *-gtk and *-qt, that depend
> on a common package. So :
>
> Pname-gtk -> Pname
>
> Pname-qt -> Pname
>

> Which one should be used? or is there a better way to do it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raghu Udiyar

Cheers,
Rajeesh
http://rajeeshknambiar.wordpress.com

Old 07-24-2011, 12:26 AM
Rex Dieter

> I am packaging a program that has two front ends, one for Gtk and other for
> Qt.
> Is there a standard packaging structure to handle such packages?
> I see two methods to do this :
>
> 1. Use an empty "meta" package that pulls in a default (gtk) front end. E.g
> :
> Pname (meta) -> Pname-common -> Pname-gtk
> Pname-gtk -> Pname-common and
> Pname-qt -> Pname-gtk
>
> Or,
>
> 2. Create sub packages for each front end, i.e *-gtk and *-qt, that depend
> on a common package. So :
>
> Pname-gtk -> Pname
> Pname-qt -> Pname

either is fine. 1 is just a variant of 2 with the addition of the metapackage really,
which I personally consider not necessary, but I also consider it something left to the
discretion of the maintainer in question.

-- rex

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Raghu Siddarth

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@math.unl.edu> wrote:

> 1. Use an empty "meta" package that pulls in a default (gtk) front end. E.g

> :

> Pname (meta) -> Pname-common -> Pname-gtk

> Pname-gtk -> Pname-common and

> Pname-qt -> Pname-gtk

> Or,

> 2. Create sub packages for each front end, i.e *-gtk and *-qt, that depend

> on a common package. So :

> Pname-gtk -> Pname

> Pname-qt -> Pname

either is fine. *1 is just a variant of 2 with the addition of the metapackage really,

which I personally consider not necessary, but I also consider it something left to the

discretion of the maintainer in question.

Great -- I've already done the packaging as per 1 (by looking at transmission).

I feel the meta package approach is better, because users can run "yum install Pname",

and get the Gtk bits. The only issue is for Qt users, as they will have to search and
understand to use "yum install Pname-qt", to pull in the correct front end.

If I'm not mistaken, .deb uses meta packages to do this as well.

Thanks,

-- Raghu