FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Ding Yi Chen
 
Default Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

Hi list,
I recently ran into an interesting problem related to time zone.

I live in time zone GMT+10.
On 0:10, 18th July,
I wrote my changelog as:
* Mon Jul 18 2011 ......
....

And then run rpmlint, which give me:
<packageName>: E: changelog-time-in-future 2011-07-18

So I am wondering which one I should use: local time or convert it to UTC?

Regards,

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Internationalization Group
Red Hat, Inc.

Register now for Red Hat Virtual Experience, December 9.
Enterprise Linux, virtualization, cloud, and more.
http://www.redhat.com/virtualexperience
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Dmitry Butskoy
 
Default Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> Hi list,
> I recently ran into an interesting problem related to time zone.
>
> I live in time zone GMT+10.
> On 0:10, 18th July,
> I wrote my changelog as:
> * Mon Jul 18 2011 ......
> ....
>
> And then run rpmlint, which give me:
> <packageName>: E: changelog-time-in-future 2011-07-18
>
> So I am wondering which one I should use: local time or convert it to UTC?

Certainly convert it to UTC.

As at any other international things (post, airports) the time must be
unique.

Regards,
Dmitry Butskoy
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Vít Ondruch
 
Default Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

Dne 22.7.2011 14:31, Dmitry Butskoy napsal(a):
> Ding Yi Chen wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> I recently ran into an interesting problem related to time zone.
>>
>> I live in time zone GMT+10.
>> On 0:10, 18th July,
>> I wrote my changelog as:
>> * Mon Jul 18 2011 ......
>> ....
>>
>> And then run rpmlint, which give me:
>> <packageName>: E: changelog-time-in-future 2011-07-18
>>
>> So I am wondering which one I should use: local time or convert it to UTC?
> Certainly convert it to UTC.
>
> As at any other international things (post, airports) the time must be
> unique.
>
> Regards,
> Dmitry Butskoy
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy
>

Alternatively you can use rpmlint just after 10 AM and you will be safe

Vit
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
David Tardon
 
Default Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 02:34:45PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 22.7.2011 14:31, Dmitry Butskoy napsal(a):
> > Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >> I recently ran into an interesting problem related to time zone.
> >>
> >> I live in time zone GMT+10.
> >> On 0:10, 18th July,
> >> I wrote my changelog as:
> >> * Mon Jul 18 2011 ......
> >> ....
> >>
> >> And then run rpmlint, which give me:
> >> <packageName>: E: changelog-time-in-future 2011-07-18
> >>
> >> So I am wondering which one I should use: local time or convert it to UTC?
> > Certainly convert it to UTC.
> >
> > As at any other international things (post, airports) the time must be
> > unique.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dmitry Butskoy
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy
> >
>
> Alternatively you can use rpmlint just after 10 AM and you will be safe

Alternatively you can just ignore the warning. That is what I would do.

D.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Toshio Kuratomi
 
Default Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 03:27:58PM +0200, David Tardon wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 02:34:45PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Dne 22.7.2011 14:31, Dmitry Butskoy napsal(a):
> > > Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> > >> Hi list,
> > >> I recently ran into an interesting problem related to time zone.
> > >>
> > >> I live in time zone GMT+10.
> > >> On 0:10, 18th July,
> > >> I wrote my changelog as:
> > >> * Mon Jul 18 2011 ......
> > >> ....
> > >>
> > >> And then run rpmlint, which give me:
> > >> <packageName>: E: changelog-time-in-future 2011-07-18
> > >>
> > >> So I am wondering which one I should use: local time or convert it to UTC?
> > > Certainly convert it to UTC.
> > >
> > > As at any other international things (post, airports) the time must be
> > > unique.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Dmitry Butskoy
> > > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy
> > >
> >
> > Alternatively you can use rpmlint just after 10 AM and you will be safe
>
> Alternatively you can just ignore the warning. That is what I would do.
>
yep, if it's just that the date you've used is different according to
timezone. (Of course, be careful that you didn't just flub the date :-)

The rpm changelog can reasonably be in any timezone. It's primarily for
people to check on their machines by running rpm -q[p] --changelog (which
could be days later because the update has to be built in koji and then
pushed to the repos.

Its also used when you or another maintainer has to see what was done to
a package in the past... which is usually (not always but in the majority of
cases) also days later.

-Toshio
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Ville Skyttä
 
Default Shall we use Local time or UTC for %changelog date?

On 07/22/2011 10:33 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> The rpm changelog can reasonably be in any timezone.

It is better to always write the changelog timestamp in UTC to avoid
"%changelog not in descending chronological order" build errors if the
specfile is modified at unfortunate moments in different timezones.
rpmbuild handles it in UTC as well.

If using *Emacs rpm-spec-mode, the rpm-change-log-uses-utc variable can
be set to non-nil to accomplish this (it's that way by default in emacs
>= 23.3-3). I've just pushed a change to rpmdevtools git that makes
bumpspec use UTC too.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org