Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM
Lucas

Default General systemd questions in respect to Fedora project.

Dear All.

In my previous post here I asked about "systemd-logind", which is already enabled by default and
does something no one knows what:

1. Where is its documentation or man page?
2. How can one disable it?

And I was suggested to ask that question in freedesktop mailing list.

Why should I ask my question there if I am asking about Fedora (Rawhide) distribution and we do not
have documentation about this service in Fedora (Rawhide). And we do not know how to disable this
service in Fedora (Rawhide).

Please, I would like to read any answers here in fedoraproject mailing list, because I talk about
Fedora.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Johannes Lips

You were told to move this discussion to the systemd mailing list not to
a freedesktop mailing list.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-July/154557.html

Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM
Lucas

On 07/20/2011 11:45 AM, Johannes Lips wrote:
> You were told to move this discussion to the systemd mailing list not to
> a freedesktop mailing list.
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-July/154557.html
>

> On 07/20/2011 09:40 AM, Lucas wrote:
>> Dear All.
>>
>> In my previous post here I asked about "systemd-logind", which is already enabled by default and
>> does something no one knows what:
>>
>> 1. Where is its documentation or man page?
>> 2. How can one disable it?
>>
>> And I was suggested to ask that question in freedesktop mailing list.
>>
>> Why should I ask my question there if I am asking about Fedora (Rawhide) distribution and we do not
>> have documentation about this service in Fedora (Rawhide). And we do not know how to disable this
>> service in Fedora (Rawhide).
>>
>> Please, I would like to read any answers here in fedoraproject mailing list, because I talk about
>> Fedora.
>>

>> Thanks.

Ok. Where is located "systemd mailing list" ? Tell me please it URL?

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Jeff Spaleta

hey Lucas,

Can you point me to the on system manpage and docs for
console-kit-daemon which is running be default on my F15 install? I
can't seem to find the documentation.

>From my reading about available systemd roadmapping for systemd-logind
in the context of upstream systemd development.... systemd-logind is
meant to replace the functionality of provided by the consolekit
deamon. So with that in mind perhaps its best if you take a step back
and dig up the information for console-kit-daemon as its being used in
active Fedora releases to get a baseline understanding of what
systemd-logind is meant to achieve.

Or you could read:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_ev4f0gwBuvs6SH_N8fN5LO4LV3sbwtJsLq52F_wwpU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CObM_7UI&pli=1
and the thread started here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/consolekit/2011-May/000136.html
and the thread started here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-May/002166.html

I think its great your finally taking a good look at what is running
by default in Rawhide. But it would also be a good idea if you took
into account some historical perspective and set your expectations
accordingly with regard to documentation,

-jef

Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Mathieu Bridon

systemd is hosted at freedesktop.org

--
Mathieu

Old 07-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Frank Murphy

On 20/07/11 09:01, Lucas wrote:
<snip>

> Ok. Where is located "systemd mailing list" ? Tell me please it URL?
>
> Thanks.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Mathieu Bridon

Well, quoting your initial message, you said:

> I found the following in internet:
>
> The good news for embeded folks: all of this will be implemented in a
> tiny new dbus service "systemd-logind", which can easily be removed
> for minimal setups, when tracking unprivileged user logins is
> unnecessary.
>
> Can someone please, tell me:
> 1. how can I easily remove it? Because it by default always enabled.
> 2. where is documentation about systemd-logind? How does it work and
> what does it do?

Nowhere in there you said that you wanted to know how to disable it in
Fedora.

And since the quote from Lennart you took ("The good news for embeded
folks...") is from an upstream context and not a Fedora one, I guess
people assumed you wanted to know how to build systemd without those
components.

At least that's what I understood from your message.

> Please, I would like to read any answers here in fedoraproject mailing list, because I talk about
> Fedora.

Those services are DBus activated if I recall correctly.

That means that something else is requesting them on DBus, and so they
get automatically started.

If something is requesting them, then something needs them.

--
Mathieu

Old 07-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Lucas

On 07/20/2011 12:03 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> hey Lucas,
>
> Can you point me to the on system manpage and docs for
> console-kit-daemon which is running be default on my F15 install? I
> can't seem to find the documentation.
>

>> From my reading about available systemd roadmapping for systemd-logind
> in the context of upstream systemd development.... systemd-logind is
> meant to replace the functionality of provided by the consolekit
> deamon. So with that in mind perhaps its best if you take a step back
> and dig up the information for console-kit-daemon as its being used in
> active Fedora releases to get a baseline understanding of what
> systemd-logind is meant to achieve.
>
> Or you could read:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_ev4f0gwBuvs6SH_N8fN5LO4LV3sbwtJsLq52F_wwpU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CObM_7UI&pli=1
> and the thread started here:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/consolekit/2011-May/000136.html
> and the thread started here:
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-May/002166.html
>
> I think its great your finally taking a good look at what is running
> by default in Rawhide. But it would also be a good idea if you took
> into account some historical perspective and set your expectations
> accordingly with regard to documentation,
>
> -jef

All those links are general words, nothing about "systemd-logind" which is daemon.

But I would like to know what does "systemd-logind" do and how.

..."There's a tool "systemd-loginctl" which you can
use to introspect the state of it, and manipulate users, sessions and
seats."...

Where is an explanation of this also ?

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat

Old 07-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Wed, 20.07.11 11:40, Lucas (macachuto@gmail.com) wrote:

> Dear All.
>
> In my previous post here I asked about "systemd-logind", which is already enabled by default and
> does something no one knows what:

Please keep questions like this on systemd-devel, or on #systemd on freenode.

> 1. Where is its documentation or man page?

There's quite a bit of documentation around already, even though it is
a very new piece of code which is available in Rawhide only so
far. We'll extend the available documentation as we come closer to a
stable release of Fedora.

http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd-logind.conf.html
http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/systemd-loginctl.html
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat

> 2. How can one disable it?

If you build systemd you can leave it out of your build. On Fedora it is
enabled however.

> And I was suggested to ask that question in freedesktop mailing list.
>
> Why should I ask my question there if I am asking about Fedora (Rawhide) distribution and we do not
> have documentation about this service in Fedora (Rawhide). And we do not know how to disable this
> service in Fedora (Rawhide).

We do have documentation, and a lot of information has been made
available upstream. systemd is one of the projects that Fedora uses, but
is not the only user of. The same way as we generally try to avoid
having detailed discussions about specific Apache modules on
fedora-devel, we try to avoid too specific discussions on systemd too,
especially if there's no direct relation to Fedora here.

> Please, I would like to read any answers here in fedoraproject mailing
> list, because I talk about Fedora.

systemd-logind is a systemd service, not a Fedora-specific service.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.