Old 07-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Neal Becker

Default on /etc/sysconfig

This article recommends ending /etc/sysconfig

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html

Old 07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Michał Piotrowski

Hi,

2011/7/18 Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com>:
> This article recommends ending /etc/sysconfig
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html

Generally speaking I like the idea of dropping /etc/sysconfig. I think
the right way it keeping minimal, standardized configuration in
/etc/services.conf/ or something like that.

Just my $2.

--
Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/

Old 07-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Mon, 18.07.11 20:54, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2011/7/18 Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com>:
> > This article recommends ending /etc/sysconfig
> >
> > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html
> >

> Generally speaking I like the idea of dropping /etc/sysconfig. I think
> the right way it keeping minimal, standardized configuration in
> /etc/services.conf/ or something like that.

No. There is no need for a directory that replaces /etc/sysconfig. It's
borked. If a daemon has not configuration file but should have one, then
fix the daemon, don't fake a configuration file.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Simo Sorce

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 20:57 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 18.07.11 20:54, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > 2011/7/18 Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com>:
> > > This article recommends ending /etc/sysconfig
> > >
> > > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/on-etc-sysinit.html
> > >

> > Generally speaking I like the idea of dropping /etc/sysconfig. I think
> > the right way it keeping minimal, standardized configuration in
> > /etc/services.conf/ or something like that.
>
> No. There is no need for a directory that replaces /etc/sysconfig. It's
> borked. If a daemon has not configuration file but should have one, then
> fix the daemon, don't fake a configuration file.

Some daemons cannot be "fixed", get over with this mantra that daemons
need be fixed Lennart.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York

Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Lennart Poettering

On Mon, 18.07.11 15:13, Simo Sorce (simo@redhat.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 20:57 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Mon, 18.07.11 20:54, Michał Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@gmail.com) wrote:
> >

> > > Hi,

> > > Generally speaking I like the idea of dropping /etc/sysconfig. I think
> > > the right way it keeping minimal, standardized configuration in
> > > /etc/services.conf/ or something like that.
> >
> > No. There is no need for a directory that replaces /etc/sysconfig. It's
> > borked. If a daemon has not configuration file but should have one, then
> > fix the daemon, don't fake a configuration file.
>
> Some daemons cannot be "fixed", get over with this mantra that daemons
> need be fixed Lennart.

Hmm? Which ones in fedora can't? Are you suggesting we are shipping
software that cannot be modified? If so, please explain which one that
is, since we need to remove it from the distro then. Fedora only
includess Free Software, and software that cannot be modified would not
qualify as that.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Jeff Spaleta

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Simo Sorce <simo@redhat.com> wrote:
> Some daemons cannot be "fixed", get over with this mantra that daemons
> need be fixed Lennart.

If I were a betting man.... I'd wager that all the daemons we ship are
easier to "fix" than the US deficit (in both the technical sense and
in the sense of political will to make the necessary changes.)

The necessary political will to obsolete /etc/sysconfig may not exist
at this very moment but I think that the reasoning is sound enough
that anticipating, identifying and mitigating potential problems the
removal would cause seems a reasonable use of someones time to
minimize the disruption such a removal will cause in the year or two
leading up to it actually happening.

-jef