Old 07-18-2011, 07:57 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default Are their guidelines for packaging translated man pages?

I have a package that supplies translated man pages (only in Ukrainian
strangely enough). They are installed by the upstream under:

%{_mandir}/uk/man1/
%{_mandir}/uk/man3/

Maybe my Google-fu is failing me, but I can't find any guidelines on
how to package these for Fedora. Should I create a separate
subpackage (foo-man-pages-uk)? Is the installation directory above
correct?

Rich.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Andreas Bierfert

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 08:57 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I have a package that supplies translated man pages (only in Ukrainian
> strangely enough). They are installed by the upstream under:
>
> %{_mandir}/uk/man1/
> %{_mandir}/uk/man3/

I would use

%lang(uk) %{_mandir}/uk/man1/foo.1*

in this case.

- Andreas
--
BrandAss Andreas Bierfert, M.Sc. | phone: +49 6897 1721738 | GPG: C58CF1CB
andreas.bierfert@lowlatency.de | fax: +49 6897 1722828 | signed/encrypted

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:09:21AM +0200, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 08:57 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > I have a package that supplies translated man pages (only in Ukrainian
> > strangely enough). They are installed by the upstream under:
> >
> > %{_mandir}/uk/man1/
> > %{_mandir}/uk/man3/
>
> I would use
>
> %lang(uk) %{_mandir}/uk/man1/foo.1*
>
> in this case.

%lang "marks certain files as only being of use with particular
languages" according to [1]. Does RPM do anything else with these
annotations?

Rich.

[1] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/ch09s05s04.html

software inside the virtual machine. Supports Linux and Windows.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/

Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 09:45:33 +0100, RWMJ (Richard) wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:09:21AM +0200, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 08:57 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > > I have a package that supplies translated man pages (only in Ukrainian
> > > strangely enough). They are installed by the upstream under:
> > >
> > > %{_mandir}/uk/man1/
> > > %{_mandir}/uk/man3/
> >
> > I would use
> >
> > %lang(uk) %{_mandir}/uk/man1/foo.1*
> >
> > in this case.
>
> %lang "marks certain files as only being of use with particular
> languages" according to [1]. Does RPM do anything else with these
> annotations?
>
> Rich.
>
> [1] http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/ch09s05s04.html

One can define a system's %_install_langs variable appropriately and have RPM
install only files in specific languages. Not solely for saving space, but to
exclude documentation in languages the users don't understand anyway.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Ville Skyttä

On 07/18/2011 11:09 AM, Andreas Bierfert wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 08:57 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> I have a package that supplies translated man pages (only in Ukrainian
>> strangely enough). They are installed by the upstream under:
>>
>> %{_mandir}/uk/man1/
>> %{_mandir}/uk/man3/
>
> I would use
>
> %lang(uk) %{_mandir}/uk/man1/foo.1*
>
> in this case.

%find_lang's --with-man argument can be used for this too.