Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default New feature for Fedora 16: new mkdumprd

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:31:39PM +0800, Américo Wang wrote:
> Hello, Fedora people,
>
> Would any of you kindly help to review my proposed feature
> for Fedora 16?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewMkdumprd

In case anyone was wondering, Américo also addressed this to me
because I previously gave him some tips on constructing a Fedora
feature page. :-) Discuss away!

Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Tomasz Torcz

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:46:30AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:31:39PM +0800, Américo Wang wrote:
> > Hello, Fedora people,
> >
> > Would any of you kindly help to review my proposed feature
> > for Fedora 16?
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewMkdumprd
>
> In case anyone was wondering, Américo also addressed this to me
> because I previously gave him some tips on constructing a Fedora
> feature page. :-) Discuss away!

Feature proposal dealing was yesterday?

--
Tomasz Torcz "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: zdzichubg@chrome.pl "God is more forgiving."

Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Tomasz Torcz

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:50:07PM +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> > > Would any of you kindly help to review my proposed feature
> > > for Fedora 16?
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewMkdumprd
> >
> Feature proposal dealing was yesterday?

deadline, of course.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:46:30AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 09:31:39PM +0800, Américo Wang wrote:
> > Hello, Fedora people,
> >
> > Would any of you kindly help to review my proposed feature
> > for Fedora 16?
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewMkdumprd
>
> In case anyone was wondering, Américo also addressed this to me
> because I previously gave him some tips on constructing a Fedora
> feature page. :-) Discuss away!

*sigh* Never mind -- I got a copy of this and thought it was addressed
to me personally. Need more coffee.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Américo Wang

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Tomasz Torcz <tomek@pipebreaker.pl> wrote:

>> * Feature proposal dealing was yesterday?
>
> *deadline, of course.

Am I too late? I made the page before the deadline, just sent
it out a little late. :-/

Old 07-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Josh Boyer

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Américo Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> * Feature proposal dealing was yesterday?
>>
>> *deadline, of course.
>>

> Am I too late? I made the page before the deadline, just sent
> it out a little late. :-/

The deadline is for FESCo to review it by, so yes you're a little late.

However, you can still do the work and get it into F16. The only
thing you won't get is some possible marketing as a feature. You can
still get it mentioned in the release notes though.

josh

Old 07-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Américo Wang

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Américo Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> *deadline, of course.
>>>

>> Am I too late? I made the page before the deadline, just sent
>> it out a little late. :-/
>
> The deadline is for FESCo to review it by, so yes you're a little late.
>
> However, you can still do the work and get it into F16. *The only
> thing you won't get is some possible marketing as a feature. *You can
> still get it mentioned in the release notes though.

Ok, this is fine for me as there are few people using kdump on Fedora.

Thanks!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
Vivek Goyal

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 06:35:05AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Américo Wang <xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> *deadline, of course.
> >>

> > Am I too late? I made the page before the deadline, just sent
> > it out a little late. :-/
>
> The deadline is for FESCo to review it by, so yes you're a little late.
>
> However, you can still do the work and get it into F16. The only
> thing you won't get is some possible marketing as a feature. You can
> still get it mentioned in the release notes though.

That's fine. This feature is not introducing any new functinality as
such. This is old kdump feature. Just that we are changing the way
we generate the initrd/initramfs for kdump kenrel. Thought it is a
better idea to use dracut to generate initramfs for kdump also and
dump "mkdumprd".

Thanks
Vivek

Old 07-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On 07/14/2011 03:35 AM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Américo Wang<xiyou.wangcong@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> deadline, of course.
>>>
>> Am I too late? I made the page before the deadline, just sent
>> it out a little late. :-/
> The deadline is for FESCo to review it by, so yes you're a little late.
>
> However, you can still do the work and get it into F16. The only
> thing you won't get is some possible marketing as a feature. You can
> still get it mentioned in the release notes though.
>
> josh
A few things here:

Yes, the feature proposal deadline is for *FESCo* to have reviewed and
accepted features, as laid out here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy/Milestones#Submitting_New_Features

However, as Feature Wrangler, I'd argue that the milestone name is
slightly misleading -- and this used to be far more easily dealt with
when FESCo meetings occurred on Tuesdays, which is the same date as the
feature submission deadline.

It doesn't help that Feature Wrangler (me) is still fairly new at this
in some ways... and thus I myself didn't realize that the "submission"
deadline is actually an "acceptance" deadline. Which means there are
currently 14 features waiting for FESCo review that came in between
about an hour *before* the FESCo meeting, and the end of the day on
7/12, that I should have pushed back on, but didn't.

I'll follow up to the devel-list on a separate mail that will hopefully
catch a few more eyeballs, but essentially I'm going to propose to FESCo
that this feature, along with all of the other features submitted at the
last moment, be able to be considered.

-Robyn

Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Américo Wang

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com> wrote:

> I'll follow up to the devel-list on a separate mail that will hopefully
> catch a few more eyeballs, but essentially I'm going to propose to FESCo
> that this feature, along with all of the other features submitted at the
> last moment, be able to be considered.

Thanks a lot!