Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 AM
Olivier Sallou

Default Fwd: rpm packaging: package configuration

Hi,

I am a newby regarding rpm packaging (more used to deb packaging).
I want to know if there is a way to configure a package at install using
rpmdev stuff, like debconf in Debian.
Or do we need to create our own config script management?

Thanks

Olivier

--
Olivier Sallou
IRISA / University of Rennes 1

gpg key id: 4096R/326D8438 (pgp.mit.edu)
Key fingerprint = 5FB4 6F83 D3B9 5204 6335 D26D 78DC 68DB 326D 8438

Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 07/13/2011 01:10 PM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newby regarding rpm packaging (more used to deb packaging).
> I want to know if there is a way to configure a package at install using
> rpmdev stuff, like debconf in Debian.
> Or do we need to create our own config script management?

If you provide more details on what exactly you are trying to do, more
specific suggestions could be given

Rahul

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 AM
Olivier Sallou

I create a new package.
At install, we need to ask for some quesitons to the user to
preconfigure the application.
At upgrade, it would be nice to get already answered questions rather
than ask again for configuration.
This can be managed manually, but it would be nicer to get this managed
with packaging tools.

Olivier

Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 07/13/2011 10:57 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I create a new package.
> At install, we need to ask for some quesitons to the user to
> preconfigure the application.
rpm-based installations are supposed to be non-interactive, i.e. this is
not allowed.

> At upgrade, it would be nice to get already answered questions rather
> than ask again for configuration.
Installations are supposed to respect what the user had previously
configured.

> This can be managed manually, but it would be nicer to get this managed
> with packaging tools.
rpm-based systems' philosophy is to let users configure their systems
after package installations/updates, not during installation.

Ralf

Old 07-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Przemek Klosowski

On 07/13/2011 05:14 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 10:57 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> This can be managed manually, but it would be nicer to get this managed
>> with packaging tools.
> rpm-based systems' philosophy is to let users configure their systems
> after package installations/updates, not during installation.

OK, but post-installation configuration is a serious deployment issue in
some environments; sometimes it is a legal requirement (custom login
messages, participation in enterprise account management, this kind of
thing). Doing manual tweaking on many machines is not fun---I can see
two ways of dealing with this:

1) deployment of a configuration system like puppet
2) private configuration packages installed after standard package
sets, that tweak the installation

1) is preferred, but requires serious prep and setup, and in any case it
implies some additional client configuration that simply does not happen
in the standard install. Is 2) an acceptable solution to the assembled
wisdom? It doesn't seem that different to what selinux policy packages
are doing in the SELinux area.

Maybe there are other ways to approach it that worked well for
people---please comment.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Ken Dreyer

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@freenet.de> wrote:
> On 07/13/2011 10:57 AM, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> I create a new package.
>> At install, we need to ask for some quesitons to the user to
>> preconfigure the application.
> rpm-based installations are supposed to be non-interactive, i.e. this is
> not allowed.

If a package has this sort of thing, it will be separate from RPM or
yum. See MySQL's mysql_secure_installation script for an example.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:57:03AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> I create a new package.
> At install, we need to ask for some quesitons to the user to
> preconfigure the application.

As others have said, this is a bad idea and not permitted for Fedora.
Personally I think it's a misfeature of apt/dpkg that updates are not
completely automated by default.

Nevertheless, it *is* possible to write an RPM which asks questions
during the %post script, and in fact I have used RPMs which did this
in the past (a bit of proprietary software where installation required
a license key to be entered on the keyboard as part of the EULA).

Rich.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 09:40 +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newby regarding rpm packaging (more used to deb packaging).
> I want to know if there is a way to configure a package at install using
> rpmdev stuff, like debconf in Debian.
> Or do we need to create our own config script management?

RPM doesn't have anything equivalent; it's considered a no-no in RPM
packaging to have any interactivity as part of a package's scripts,
packages are expected to be installable unattended.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 07-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Björn Persson

Przemek Klosowski wrote:
> Doing manual tweaking on many machines is not fun

That's when you bring out Kickstart I believe.

Björn Persson

Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 AM
Evandro Giovanini

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:57:03AM +0200, Olivier Sallou wrote:
>> I create a new package.
>> At install, we need to ask for some quesitons to the user to
>> preconfigure the application.
>
> As others have said, this is a bad idea and not permitted for Fedora.
> Personally I think it's a misfeature of apt/dpkg that updates are not
> completely automated by default.
>
> Nevertheless, it *is* possible to write an RPM which asks questions
> during the %post script, and in fact I have used RPMs which did this
> in the past (a bit of proprietary software where installation required
> a license key to be entered on the keyboard as part of the EULA).

AFAIK it's also possible to setup apt/dpkg to be completely automated.

Evandro