FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

Hello list,

I'm curious to know how many laptops have problems with
ACPI lid state in Linux. I've been told some laptops report
wrong lid state through ACPI, while my laptop seems to report it properly.

This poll is related to Fedora bugreport:
"ACPI LID state ignored on laptop, wrong display used for desktop/installer":
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=712706

So, if you want to help and test this on your laptop,
please try these things with recent Fedora/kernel:

- You can check the ACPI lid state like this:
cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state

- Set up external monitor/display, and disable the laptop internal
LVDS display panel using xrandr or gnome display settings tool.

1) Close the laptop LID and then check the lid state. Is it reported correct?

2) Open the laptop LID and then check the lid state. Is it reported correct?

3) Repeat the previous steps multiple times. Is the lid state still reported correctly?

4) Reboot the laptop with LID closed.
Then check the lid state, is it properly reported as closed?

5) Reboot the laptop with LID open.
Then check the lid state, is it properly reported as open?

The point of checks 4 and 5 is to verify the "initial" lid state
is correctly reported.

I guess that should cover all the usecases..
Please post your findings to this list.

btw. if you don't have external display you could also ssh into the laptop
and run the tests over ssh.

Thanks!

-- Pasi

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Adam Jackson
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 23:44 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm curious to know how many laptops have problems with
> ACPI lid state in Linux. I've been told some laptops report
> wrong lid state through ACPI, while my laptop seems to report it properly.

Once you have this data, what do you intend to do with it?

- ajax
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Matthew Garrett
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:44:59PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> I guess that should cover all the usecases..
> Please post your findings to this list.

Please don't. ACPI lid state is not reliable on a range of hardware for
a bunch of reasons, ranging from open events that are never fired to
query methods that read from the wrong register. We can't pay attention
to it by default, and running a survey doesn't change that.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:01:11PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 23:44 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I'm curious to know how many laptops have problems with
> > ACPI lid state in Linux. I've been told some laptops report
> > wrong lid state through ACPI, while my laptop seems to report it properly.
>
> Once you have this data, what do you intend to do with it?
>

Good question. I was just curious to know how widespread problem that is.

I tend to use my laptop in the docking station, only using external monitor,
so it's annoying when testing new alpha/beta/final Fedora releases
and Fedora uses the internal lvds, under the *closed* lid, as a primary display..
ie. the installer/livedesktop is not visible at all on my setup, until I open the lid.

So just trying to find some kind of workaround to that..
Using "clone-mode" as a default would solve the problem..
(now the default mode in Fedora is to use "extended desktop")

-- Pasi

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Pasi Kärkkäinen
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01:25PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 11:44:59PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>
> > I guess that should cover all the usecases..
> > Please post your findings to this list.
>
> Please don't. ACPI lid state is not reliable on a range of hardware for
> a bunch of reasons, ranging from open events that are never fired to
> query methods that read from the wrong register. We can't pay attention
> to it by default, and running a survey doesn't change that.
>

Ok. Do you know if there are other (better working) methods to get the lid state info?

-- Pasi

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Adam Jackson
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 15:22 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01:25PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Please don't. ACPI lid state is not reliable on a range of hardware for
> > a bunch of reasons, ranging from open events that are never fired to
> > query methods that read from the wrong register. We can't pay attention
> > to it by default, and running a survey doesn't change that.
>
> Ok. Do you know if there are other (better working) methods to get the lid state info?

If we knew of any, they'd be implemented in the kernel, and we'd be
using them.

I know this is a frustrating thing to hear, and I empathize, I really
do. But the state of the art right now is that there's one interface
for laptop lids, it's in ACPI, and it's not reliable.

Once upon a time there was an effort to make a Linux-based test kit for
firmware [1], so vendors could run it before releasing hardware and
verify that the Linux interfaces function. Lid state and lid events
could have been one such test case. Sadly the effort seems to have
stagnated; it could really use a revival. But even such a test kit
would only fix new hardware, existing machines will continue to be as
broken as they currently are forever.

[1] - http://linuxfirmwarekit.org/

- ajax
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Hans de Goede
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

Hi,

On 07/13/2011 04:11 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 15:22 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01:25PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>> Please don't. ACPI lid state is not reliable on a range of hardware for
>>> a bunch of reasons, ranging from open events that are never fired to
>>> query methods that read from the wrong register. We can't pay attention
>>> to it by default, and running a survey doesn't change that.
>>
>> Ok. Do you know if there are other (better working) methods to get the lid state info?
>
> If we knew of any, they'd be implemented in the kernel, and we'd be
> using them.
>
> I know this is a frustrating thing to hear, and I empathize, I really
> do. But the state of the art right now is that there's one interface
> for laptop lids, it's in ACPI, and it's not reliable.
>
> Once upon a time there was an effort to make a Linux-based test kit for
> firmware [1], so vendors could run it before releasing hardware and
> verify that the Linux interfaces function. Lid state and lid events
> could have been one such test case. Sadly the effort seems to have
> stagnated; it could really use a revival. But even such a test kit
> would only fix new hardware, existing machines will continue to be as
> broken as they currently are forever.

Maybe it it is an idea to build a whitelist for machines which do
have working ACPI lid support? I realize maintaining such a list is
a pain, but this way people who care and are lucky enough to have actually
working hardware can at least use this ?

Regards,

Hans
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Hans de Goede
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

Hi,

On 07/13/2011 04:11 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 15:22 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:01:25PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>>> Please don't. ACPI lid state is not reliable on a range of hardware for
>>> a bunch of reasons, ranging from open events that are never fired to
>>> query methods that read from the wrong register. We can't pay attention
>>> to it by default, and running a survey doesn't change that.
>>
>> Ok. Do you know if there are other (better working) methods to get the lid state info?
>
> If we knew of any, they'd be implemented in the kernel, and we'd be
> using them.
>
> I know this is a frustrating thing to hear, and I empathize, I really
> do. But the state of the art right now is that there's one interface
> for laptop lids, it's in ACPI, and it's not reliable.
>
> Once upon a time there was an effort to make a Linux-based test kit for
> firmware [1], so vendors could run it before releasing hardware and
> verify that the Linux interfaces function. Lid state and lid events
> could have been one such test case. Sadly the effort seems to have
> stagnated; it could really use a revival. But even such a test kit
> would only fix new hardware, existing machines will continue to be as
> broken as they currently are forever.

Maybe it it is an idea to build a whitelist for machines which do
have working ACPI lid support? I realize maintaining such a list is
a pain, but this way people who care and are lucky enough to have actually
working hardware can at least use this ?

Regards,

Hans
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Adam Jackson
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 16:57 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Maybe it it is an idea to build a whitelist for machines which do
> have working ACPI lid support? I realize maintaining such a list is
> a pain, but this way people who care and are lucky enough to have actually
> working hardware can at least use this ?

It's an idea, but not one I'd do. Either a whitelist or a blacklist
would be oppressively large.

- ajax
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Adam Williamson
 
Default Poll: Does ACPI lid state work on your Linux laptop?

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 15:21 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:01:11PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 23:44 +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > I'm curious to know how many laptops have problems with
> > > ACPI lid state in Linux. I've been told some laptops report
> > > wrong lid state through ACPI, while my laptop seems to report it properly.
> >
> > Once you have this data, what do you intend to do with it?
> >
>
> Good question. I was just curious to know how widespread problem that is.
>
> I tend to use my laptop in the docking station, only using external monitor,
> so it's annoying when testing new alpha/beta/final Fedora releases
> and Fedora uses the internal lvds, under the *closed* lid, as a primary display..
> ie. the installer/livedesktop is not visible at all on my setup, until I open the lid.
>
> So just trying to find some kind of workaround to that..
> Using "clone-mode" as a default would solve the problem..
> (now the default mode in Fedora is to use "extended desktop")

I think I recall discussing this with the anaconda team before; we
agreed in principle that it would make sense for anaconda to default to
clone mode, but the problem is X doesn't have any very easy mechanism
for overriding the default, there is no simple command line parameter
anaconda could pass to X to launch it in clone mode instead of span
mode. anaconda would have to include an X config stub to specify clone
mode and then ensure that stub wasn't installed. I think no-one got
around to getting that done yet. I'm not sure if there's a bug for it,
but you could have a look.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey
IRC: adamw
http://www.happyassassin.net

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:02 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org