Old 07-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Peter Robinson

Default biosdevname in fedora 15 - why is this inconsistency?

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Kevin Wilson <wkevils@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I have biosdevname-0.3.8-1.fc15.x86_64 on fedora 15 machine.

I see from

man biosdevname , that the name of the devices should be:

..

* * *em<port>

* * * * * * *for embedded NICs

* * * * * * *for cards in PCI slots

..

ifconfig shows I have em1, p2p1;

indded em1 is embedded NICs.

*However , the second nic is PCI nic. Why does it not defined as

pci<slot>#<port>?

is this some udev definition (some policy) which sets other names for

pci nics ?

any idea where this policy is defined and how can I choose a different policy ?

Have a look in the rpm and you'll see the rule file listed. p2 is pci slot 2 and p1 is port 1. Looks consistent to me.

*Peter

Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 16:13 +0300, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hello,
> I have biosdevname-0.3.8-1.fc15.x86_64 on fedora 15 machine.
>
> I see from
> man biosdevname , that the name of the devices should be:
> ..
> em<port>
> for embedded NICs

> for cards in PCI slots
> ..
>
> ifconfig shows I have em1, p2p1;
> indded em1 is embedded NICs.
> However , the second nic is PCI nic. Why does it not defined as
> pci<slot>#<port>?
> is this some udev definition (some policy) which sets other names for
> pci nics ?
> any idea where this policy is defined and how can I choose a different policy ?

The man page is out of date. pciXp_Y got changed to pXpY, I believe
because it turned out to be important that the names be kept below a
certain length.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 07-08-2011, 02:45 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Adam Williamson wrote:

>> ifconfig shows I have em1, p2p1;
>> Why does it not defined as pci<slot>#<port>?

> The man page is out of date. pciXp_Y got changed to pXpY, I believe
> because it turned out to be important that the names be kept below a
> certain length.

I also have biosdevname-0.3.8-1.fc15.x86_64, but ifconfig says I have
eth0 and eth1 for the wireless. How come?