Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Kevin Wilson

Default biosdevname in fedora 15 - why is this inconsistency?

Hello,
I have biosdevname-0.3.8-1.fc15.x86_64 on fedora 15 machine.

I see from
man biosdevname , that the name of the devices should be:
..
em<port>
for embedded NICs

for cards in PCI slots
..

ifconfig shows I have em1, p2p1;
indded em1 is embedded NICs.
However , the second nic is PCI nic. Why does it not defined as
pci<slot>#<port>?
is this some udev definition (some policy) which sets other names for
pci nics ?
any idea where this policy is defined and how can I choose a different policy ?

rgs,
Kevin

Fri Jul 8 16:30:07 2011