Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 AM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Default Lack of space on /

Hi,

Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
is completely full.

chkrootkit is reporting nothing untoward.

I have noticed that putting things in the wastebasket and then saying
empty hasn't been doing so recently, but that shouldn't account for 8Gb!

Any ideas?

PFJ
--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...

Old 07-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Jos Vos

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 09:47:13AM +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
> week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
> is completely full.

Wrong list, I think, this is the Fedora DEVELOPMENT list.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM
Michał Piotrowski

2011/7/8 Paul F. Johnson <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
> week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
> is completely full.
>
> chkrootkit is reporting nothing untoward.
>
> I have noticed that putting things in the wastebasket and then saying
> empty hasn't been doing so recently, but that shouldn't account for 8Gb!
>
> Any ideas?

What
$ du -h -d 1 /
says?

> PFJ
> --
> Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...

Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/

Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/08/2011 04:47 AM, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
> week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
> is completely full.

..

> Any ideas?

Probably should be users list not dev (unless you're running rawhide) -
but see if

yum clean packages

does anything. Also take a look in /tmp and /var/tmp if that doesn't
take care of it.

gene/

Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Genes MailLists

On 07/08/2011 04:47 AM, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
> week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
> is completely full.

..

Old 07-09-2011, 10:30 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 09:47:13AM +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
> week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
> is completely full.
>
> chkrootkit is reporting nothing untoward.
>
> I have noticed that putting things in the wastebasket and then saying
> empty hasn't been doing so recently, but that shouldn't account for 8Gb!
>
> Any ideas?

This is the wrong list to be asking this question. Nevertheless,
a quick shout out to the amazing power of KDE Filelight ...

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/filelight?content=99561

Rich.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Adam Williamson

On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 11:30 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 09:47:13AM +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
> > week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
> > is completely full.
> >
> > chkrootkit is reporting nothing untoward.
> >
> > I have noticed that putting things in the wastebasket and then saying
> > empty hasn't been doing so recently, but that shouldn't account for 8Gb!
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> This is the wrong list to be asking this question. Nevertheless,
> a quick shout out to the amazing power of KDE Filelight ...
>
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/filelight?content=99561
>
> Rich.

GNOME equivalent is Baobab. I think it's actually a core bit of GNOME
these days...

[adamw@adam Downloads]$ rpm -qf `which baobab`
gnome-utils-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64
[adamw@adam Downloads]$
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Michał Piotrowski

2011/7/11 Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com>:
> On Sat, 2011-07-09 at 11:30 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 09:47:13AM +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Something strange has happened on my system. At the start of last
>> > week, / was reporting that I had about 8Gb free. It now reports that /
>> > is completely full.
>> >
>> > chkrootkit is reporting nothing untoward.
>> >
>> > I have noticed that putting things in the wastebasket and then saying
>> > empty hasn't been doing so recently, but that shouldn't account for 8Gb!
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>>
>> This is the wrong list to be asking this question. *Nevertheless,
>> a quick shout out to the amazing power of KDE Filelight ...
>>
>> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/filelight?content=99561
>>
>> Rich.
>
> GNOME equivalent is Baobab. I think it's actually a core bit of GNOME
> these days...
>
> [adamw@adam Downloads]$ rpm -qf `which baobab`
> gnome-utils-3.1.2-1.fc16.x86_64

I am using Linux every day, but for a long time I did not use X. Some
people just needs shell magic

> [adamw@adam Downloads]$
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Fedora Talk: adamwill AT fedoraproject DOT org
> http://www.happyassassin.net

Best regards,
Michal

http://eventhorizon.pl/

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Stephen Gallagher

On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 23:55 +0200, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
> I am using Linux every day, but for a long time I did not use X. Some
> people just needs shell magic

The primary reason to use X is to have multiple shell prompts on the
screen at the same time, isn't it?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Stephen Gallagher