Old 07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Reindl Harald

Default cups service gone walkabouts?

Am 06.07.2011 11:19, schrieb Paul F. Johnson:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
> the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
> an oversight?

sounds like the switch to systemd started
good!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 10:30 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> Well first of all I'd check it's enabled as I believe policy is that the
> enabled/disabled state of a service is not carried over when it migrates
> from svsvinit to systemd.

Correct, and I haven't pursued getting an exception for cups so that it
can automatically be enabled.

Did we decide in the end that default service enabling should happen as
part of a spin's kickstart, or does it need to be in the package?

Tim.
*/

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 11:32 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> I thought with Lennart patch/setup on his blog the only case you need to
> enable cups is if you are going to be running centralized printer server
> which in that case the admin himself would enabled it hence we would not
> have to have it enabled by default...

Yes, you're quite right, my mistake.

Tim.
*/

Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Tom Hughes

On 06/07/11 13:27, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 11:32 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
>> I thought with Lennart patch/setup on his blog the only case you need to
>> enable cups is if you are going to be running centralized printer server
>> which in that case the admin himself would enabled it hence we would not
>> have to have it enabled by default...
>
> Yes, you're quite right, my mistake.

Except that the cups package only seems to have the service unit and not
the socket or path units so socket activation won't work at the moment.

I had assumed that was deliberate, but maybe not?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/

Old 07-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 13:38 +0100, Tom Hughes wrote:
> I had assumed that was deliberate, but maybe not?

Try today's rawhide.

Tim.
*/

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

On 07/06/2011 09:21 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 06.07.2011 11:19, schrieb Paul F. Johnson:
>> Hi,
>>
>> It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
>> the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
>> an oversight?
> sounds like the switch to systemd started
> good!

The development cycle is exactly to catch any potential issues like this
and the sooner we have those native service files out there the better.

So I propose that instead of you complaining here on the list you help
out in the migration progress and start converting legacy sysv init
scripts to a native systemd service files.

If you are uncapable of doing that I suggest that you keep these
sarcastic remarks of yours to yourself and off list.

Thanks

JBG

Old 07-06-2011, 03:00 PM
"Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson"

Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Adam Williamson

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 15:00 +0000, "Jˇhann B. Gu­mundsson" wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 09:21 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >
> > Am 06.07.2011 11:19, schrieb Paul F. Johnson:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
> >> the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
> >> an oversight?
> > sounds like the switch to systemd started
> > good!
> >

> The development cycle is exactly to catch any potential issues like this
> and the sooner we have those native service files out there the better.
>
> So I propose that instead of you complaining here on the list you help
> out in the migration progress and start converting legacy sysv init
> scripts to a native systemd service files.
>
> If you are uncapable of doing that I suggest that you keep these
> sarcastic remarks of yours to yourself and off list.

erm, I didn't read the initial post as at all sarcastic. I think you're
over-interpreting. Reindl simply suggested why the SysV definition had
disappeared - "sounds like the switch to systemd started" - and gave an
opinion - "good!". I can't see any reason to interpret the opinion as
sarcasm.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey