Old 07-06-2011, 09:19 AM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Default cups service gone walkabouts?

Hi,

It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
an oversight?

PFJ
--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Tom Hughes

On 06/07/11 10:19, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
> the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
> an oversight?

I would guess (given that Lennart used it as his example in his recent
article) that it has been converted to be a native systemd service.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/

Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
"Paul F. Johnson"

Hi,

> > It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
> > the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
> > an oversight?
>
> I would guess (given that Lennart used it as his example in his recent
> article) that it has been converted to be a native systemd service.

Ah.

Looks like I may need to bz it as unless I run /usr/sbin/cupsd -F from a
terminal, the service isn't starting. s-c-services and s-c-printer isn't
showing anything.

Should I put it under cups or systemd?

PFJ

--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...

Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Michal Schmidt

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:19:46 +0100 Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
> the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is
> just an oversight?

* Wed Jun 29 2011 Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> 1:1.5-0.9.rc1
- Ship systemd service unit instead of SysV initscript (bug #690766).

Old 07-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Tom Hughes

On 06/07/11 10:25, Paul F. Johnson wrote:

>> I would guess (given that Lennart used it as his example in his recent
>> article) that it has been converted to be a native systemd service.
>
> Ah.
>
> Looks like I may need to bz it as unless I run /usr/sbin/cupsd -F from a
> terminal, the service isn't starting. s-c-services and s-c-printer isn't
> showing anything.

Well first of all I'd check it's enabled as I believe policy is that the
enabled/disabled state of a service is not carried over when it migrates
from svsvinit to systemd.

So a "systemctl enable cups.service" might be the best thing to try
first - certainly my rawhide VM seems to have had it disabled.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/

Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Mathieu Bridon

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 10:19 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems that after yesterdays (5th July) mammoth rawhide update, that
> the cups daemon has vanished from /etc/init.d - any idea if this is just
> an oversight?

Looks like it migrated to native systemd configuration:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=cups.git;a=commitdiff;h=b7d9a11244c22bd7e2ea459 0f78a7a22852871b2

--
Mathieu