Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 AM
Jon Masters

Default Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - FRIDAY

Hi Folks,

Join us on Friday to celebrate July with another in our series of VFADs!
This is an awesome opportunity to participate in improving support for
ARM processors, and to learn about architecture bootstrap. Last week, we
successfully added a number of new packages to our bootstrap filesystem
image and got closer to having a working F15 environment we can use to
build official RPMs with hard floating point, on ARMv7 systems.

It's never too soon or too late to help, and you can participate at any
time, by following the instructions linked below - no need to wait for
us, just let us know when you've got bits we can pull into the official
rootfs (which is managed in git) we are building to bootstrap the rest.

Don't forget that you can find out a lot more about the Fedora ARM
project, and about getting involved by visiting the wiki:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM

Which also contains links to canned images you can use to drop onto your
own ARM system and hit the ground running without any installation time.

Awesomeness!

Jon.

--- Fedora ARM hardfp activity days ---

We are hosting another Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual Fedora Activity Day on
Friday, at 14:00UTC (10:00 Eastern Daylight Time). The purpose of this
session is to co-ordinate the bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating
point). Going forward, the proposal is that these be on Fridays.

You can find a lot more detail here, along with all the pre-reqs/bits:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap_Virtual_FAD_20110701

That page contains links to the general instructions on:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap

Be sure you follow the instructions to use an armv7hl-YOUR_FAS_USERNAME
or group name branch so that we can track who is doing what, and more
easily back out changes if you/we discover a problem with your setup.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:14 AM
Nikola Pajkovsky

Jon Masters <jcm@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Join us on Friday to celebrate July with another in our series of VFADs!
> This is an awesome opportunity to participate in improving support for
> ARM processors, and to learn about architecture bootstrap. Last week, we
> successfully added a number of new packages to our bootstrap filesystem
> image and got closer to having a working F15 environment we can use to
> build official RPMs with hard floating point, on ARMv7 systems.
>
> It's never too soon or too late to help, and you can participate at any
> time, by following the instructions linked below - no need to wait for
> us, just let us know when you've got bits we can pull into the official
> rootfs (which is managed in git) we are building to bootstrap the rest.
>
> Don't forget that you can find out a lot more about the Fedora ARM
> project, and about getting involved by visiting the wiki:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
>
> Which also contains links to canned images you can use to drop onto your
> own ARM system and hit the ground running without any installation time.
>
> Awesomeness!
>
> Jon.

Refreshing news! What is pain in the ass is rhel6, because it doesn't
have qemu-system-arm. I will play around with rhel6 and qemu-system-arm.
Then I will try to build my packages for arm (if already aren't in). Is
there a list of built packages?

--
Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs

Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Jon Masters

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 09:14 +0200, Nikola Pajkovsky wrote:

> Refreshing news! What is pain in the ass is rhel6, because it doesn't
> have qemu-system-arm. I will play around with rhel6 and qemu-system-arm.
> Then I will try to build my packages for arm (if already aren't in). Is
> there a list of built packages?

If you are internal, ping me and I can make available access to a couple
of PandaBoards to save building up emulation bits (should be available
ahead of Friday but not available yet). We're trying to do this
natively, though I've nothing against using qemu if you'd like

Jon.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:52 AM
Jon Masters

Folks,

We are hosting another one of our regular Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual
Fedora Activity Day today Friday July 8th, at 14:00UTC (10:00 Eastern
Daylight Time). The purpose of this session is to co-ordinate the
bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating point). Going forward, the
proposal is that these remain on Fridays, and at the same time.

Last week, we succeeded in reaching a point where we have a native RPM
(and therefore rpmbuild) running, and we are therefore now entering what
we call "stage3" (stage1 was cross-compilation, stage2 was limited
native building from the sources) in which we can build packages
natively. Dennis has made some progress building python and a priority
will be to get native packages built sufficient to have a python RPM.
Once we have python, we then get to yum, mock, and finally Koji. At that
point, we just have to rebuild everything twice more (once in rpmbuild,
then use those bits in a full koji) before we can build the many more
packages we will require for a self-hosted system! Lots of fun!

You can find a lot more detail here, along with all the pre-reqs/bits:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap_Virtual_FAD_20110708

That page contains links to the general instructions on (note that
documentation on "stage3" is being updated, by me, at the moment - the
above link has some notes sufficient for Friday, but these will be
incorporated into the generic instructions I link to below):