-   -   What to do if upstream disappears? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/543317-what-do-if-upstream-disappears.html)

Bruno Wolff III 06-23-2011 01:08 PM

What to do if upstream disappears?

The sirius project web page has vanished and I haven't been able to find
a new one. Should I comment out the old URL and source0 definitions
and have source0 just be the archive name?

Other than needing a DSO linking fix, the game seems to work, so I don't
see a need to drop the package.

Rahul Sundaram 06-23-2011 01:23 PM

On 06/23/2011 06:38 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> The sirius project web page has vanished and I haven't been able to find
> a new one. Should I comment out the old URL and source0 definitions
> and have source0 just be the archive name?
>
> Other than needing a DSO linking fix, the game seems to work, so I don't
> see a need to drop the package.

Yes. remove the url and add a comment on the spec

Rahul

Eric Smith 06-24-2011 10:49 AM

On 06/23/2011 06:23 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Yes. remove the url and add a comment on the spec
I'd suggest commenting out the URL line rather than removing it. (Maybe
that's what you meant by "add a comment", rather than just a "upstream
is dead" style comment.) Even a dead URL is sometimes useful, since
there may be snapshots in archive.org.

Eric

Bruno Wolff III 06-24-2011 01:29 PM

What to do if upstream disappears?

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 03:49:18 -0700,
Eric Smith <eric@brouhaha.com> wrote:
> On 06/23/2011 06:38 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>
> > The sirius project web page has vanished and I haven't been able to find
> > a new one. Should I comment out the old URL and source0 definitions
> > and have source0 just be the archive name?
> >
> > Other than needing a DSO linking fix, the game seems to work, so I don't
> > see a need to drop the package.
> On 06/23/2011 06:23 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Yes. remove the url and add a comment on the spec
> I'd suggest commenting out the URL line rather than removing it. (Maybe
> that's what you meant by "add a comment", rather than just a "upstream
> is dead" style comment.) Even a dead URL is sometimes useful, since
> there may be snapshots in archive.org.

My interpretation of Rahul's suggestion was to add a comment about why the
URL definition is commented out, rather than a suggestion to remove it
instead of commenting it out.

Bruno Wolff III 06-24-2011 01:29 PM