Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Reindl Harald

Default find obsolete configs

is there any way to find on the system present but obsolete
config-files automatically

example: "/etc/inittab", present but since F15 ignored

an automatic list would be a good start-point to find changes
and look where are the replacements

Old 06-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:09:44 +0200
Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> is there any way to find on the system present but obsolete
> config-files automatically
>
> example: "/etc/inittab", present but since F15 ignored
>
> an automatic list would be a good start-point to find changes
> and look where are the replacements

Not that I know of. These should be very rare cases. In general
packages obsolete/remove config files that they used to use but no
longer do so.

/etc/inittab is an odd case due to the switchover to systemd, and in
fact should probibly be removed or replaced with a placeholder at some
point.

kevin

Old 06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Tom Hughes

On 23/06/11 14:08, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> /etc/inittab is an odd case due to the switchover to systemd, and in
> fact should probibly be removed or replaced with a placeholder at some
> point.

It is - on my F15 boxes it looks like this:

# inittab is no longer used when using systemd.
#
# ADDING CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/systemd/system/ctrl-alt-del.target
#
# systemd uses 'targets' instead of runlevels. By default, there are two
main targets:
#
# multi-user.target: analogous to runlevel 3
# graphical.target: analogous to runlevel 5
#
# To set a default target, run:
#
# ln -s /lib/systemd/system/<target name>.target
/etc/systemd/system/default.target
#

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/

Old 06-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.06.2011 15:19, schrieb Tom Hughes:
> On 23/06/11 14:08, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> /etc/inittab is an odd case due to the switchover to systemd, and in
>> fact should probibly be removed or replaced with a placeholder at some
>> point.
>
> It is - on my F15 boxes it looks like this:
>
> # inittab is no longer used when using systemd.
> #
> # ADDING CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
> #
> # Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/systemd/system/ctrl-alt-del.target
> #
> # systemd uses 'targets' instead of runlevels. By default, there are two
> main targets:
> #
> # multi-user.target: analogous to runlevel 3
> # graphical.target: analogous to runlevel 5
> #
> # To set a default target, run:
> #
> # ln -s /lib/systemd/system/<target name>.target
> /etc/systemd/system/default.target

depends on how old is your setup and if you manully changed anything there
on mine systemd did select runlevel 3 because switched to it for the
yum-upgrade (where the instructions are missing a hint that only
"sync; kill 1; sync; /sbin/reboot -f" will let you restart) and i had to
search why the runlevel is ignored there

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/inittab
# inittab is only used by upstart for the default runlevel.
#
# ADDING OTHER CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# System initialization is started by /etc/event.d/rcS
#
# Individual runlevels are started by /etc/event.d/rc[0-6]
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete
#
# Terminal gettys (tty[1-6]) are handled by /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] and
# /etc/event.d/serial
#
# For information on how to write upstart event handlers, or how
# upstart works, see init(8), initctl(8), and events(5).
#
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

Old 06-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Reindl Harald

Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Johannes Lips

Hello,

http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/return-list-of-files-not-owned-by-any-package/

might be helpful to identify obsolete config files.

Greetings

Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Johannes Lips

Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Miloslav Trmańć

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> is there any way to find on the system present but obsolete
> config-files automatically

I don't think it's possible to do much better better than (find -atime
...), unfortunately.
Mirek