Old 06-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Jon Masters

Default Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 00:36 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> We are hosting another Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual Fedora Activity Day
> today, at 14:00UTC (10:00 Eastern Daylight Time). The purpose of this
> session is to co-ordinate the bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating
> point). Going forward, the proposal is that these be on Fridays.
>
> You can find a lot more detail here, along with all the pre-reqs/bits:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap_Virtual_FAD_20110622
>
> That page contains links to the general instructions on:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap
>
> Be sure you follow the instructions to use an armv7hl-YOUR_FAS_USERNAME
> or group name branch so that we can track who is doing what, and more
> easily back out changes if you/we discover a problem with your setup.

Please pull and rebase to ensure you are using the stage2/recipe.d split
out build recipes for your branches/pull requests. This was just changed
over in the last few minutes, but it is a much easier approach.

Jon.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Jon Masters

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 03:20 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap

Please note that this has been updated since last week. It now includes
all of the information you need for "stage3" (current). Further, there
is an additional wiki page linked from there with a list of packages
that need building. The Etherpad we were using is currently down - don't
use that, use the wiki pages instead please.

Jon.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Jon Masters

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 09:51 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> To participate, visit the following link:
>
> http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/f15hardfp/bootstrap/rootfs_stage4_20110825/

Just a quick update that we've had mock builders running around the
clock and that, at last count we had built almost 9,000 native ARMv7
RPMs for the Fedora 15 bootstrap effort. I'll keep everyone updated. If
you would like to contribute build cycles, please see my earlier mail,
and ping us on #fedora-arm (irc.freenode.org) if you need assistance.

Hopefully, within a week or so we can consider switching to a full Koji
environment, at which point we'll just have to do one more mass rebuild
(stage5) before we /should/ have everything built correctly in Koji. We
can do a preliminary alpha release of F15 soon thereafter. Folks are
working on Anaconda, but I've no status update on that front yet.

Jon.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Peter Robinson

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Jon Masters <jcm@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 09:51 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
>> To participate, visit the following link:
>>
>> http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/f15hardfp/bootstrap/rootfs_stage4_20110825/
>
> Just a quick update that we've had mock builders running around the
> clock and that, at last count we had built almost 9,000 native ARMv7
> RPMs for the Fedora 15 bootstrap effort. I'll keep everyone updated. If
> you would like to contribute build cycles, please see my earlier mail,
> and ping us on #fedora-arm (irc.freenode.org) if you need assistance.

Why don't we just get it running in koji? Once we can get a
armv5tel/armv7hl running in koji we don't need to have people off
doing their own thing and we can start moving forward as a group.

Peter

Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Jon Masters

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 19:13 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 4:06 AM, Jon Masters <jcm@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 09:51 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> >> To participate, visit the following link:
> >>
> >> http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/f15hardfp/bootstrap/rootfs_stage4_20110825/
> >
> > Just a quick update that we've had mock builders running around the
> > clock and that, at last count we had built almost 9,000 native ARMv7
> > RPMs for the Fedora 15 bootstrap effort. I'll keep everyone updated. If
> > you would like to contribute build cycles, please see my earlier mail,
> > and ping us on #fedora-arm (irc.freenode.org) if you need assistance.
>
> Why don't we just get it running in koji? Once we can get a
> armv5tel/armv7hl running in koji we don't need to have people off
> doing their own thing and we can start moving forward as a group.

We need a provisional set of repos to populate Koji. Arguably we might
have enough now to get away with it, but we'd still wind up with lots of
buildroot and false FTBFS type failures as Koji couldn't find deps. For
better or worse, Dennis and I felt it was better to do a mock run first.

The Koji build will happen soon. We need to do one more build to make
sure we have every build dep in place during builds. Although we suspect
we're good even with stage4, we'd like to make sure we don't have
packages failing to enable features during build by doing it again in
what we call stage5. Then, we're done. Lots of nice things could be done
to improve this in the future, like bootstrap deps, etc.

We'll keep an eye on builds this week. Some packages need huge resources
to build, so they might be removed from the general list and built on a
box we have that has a lot more RAM than many of the other builders.

Jon.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Peter Robinson

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Jon Masters <jcm@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 19:13 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

>> > Just a quick update that we've had mock builders running around the
>> > clock and that, at last count we had built almost 9,000 native ARMv7
>> > RPMs for the Fedora 15 bootstrap effort. I'll keep everyone updated. If
>> > you would like to contribute build cycles, please see my earlier mail,
>> > and ping us on #fedora-arm (irc.freenode.org) if you need assistance.
>>
>> Why don't we just get it running in koji? Once we can get a
>> armv5tel/armv7hl running in koji we don't need to have people off
>> doing their own thing and we can start moving forward as a group.
>
> We need a provisional set of repos to populate Koji. Arguably we might
> have enough now to get away with it, but we'd still wind up with lots of
> buildroot and false FTBFS type failures as Koji couldn't find deps. For
> better or worse, Dennis and I felt it was better to do a mock run first.
>
> The Koji build will happen soon. We need to do one more build to make
> sure we have every build dep in place during builds. Although we suspect
> we're good even with stage4, we'd like to make sure we don't have
> packages failing to enable features during build by doing it again in
> what we call stage5. Then, we're done. Lots of nice things could be done
> to improve this in the future, like bootstrap deps, etc.
>
> We'll keep an eye on builds this week. Some packages need huge resources
> to build, so they might be removed from the general list and built on a
> box we have that has a lot more RAM than many of the other builders.

2 points here.

1) If the dep is missing it needs to be built..... that's the same
whether its mock or koji.

2) need to do the same on armv5tel even if its for the core buildroot
too. I don't see any movement on this.

Peter