Old 06-22-2011, 04:09 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

Default No kernel-debuginfo in Rawhide

I might be doing it wrong, but have kernel-debuginfo packages just
disappeared from Rawhide recently? eg. Compare:

kernel-2.6.39-0.rc7.git6.1.fc16 from May 14, contains debuginfo

and:

kernel-3.0-0.rc3.git5.1.fc16 from June 17, no debuginfo package

This obscure patch seems to be related:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=3d121413b5e437c6949fe 9b55200a5682b6000b7

but I don't understand what this means. Are kernel symbols included
in the main package in Rawhide? It doesn't seem that way, at least,
systemtap can't find them. Does it mean Rawhide users should do
without debugging? That seems contrary to the purpose of Rawhide.

Rich.

libguestfs lets you edit virtual machines. Supports shell scripting,
bindings from many languages. http://libguestfs.org

Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
"Richard W.M. Jones"

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:10:49PM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:09:06PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > but I don't understand what this means. Are kernel symbols included
> > in the main package in Rawhide? It doesn't seem that way, at least,
> > systemtap can't find them. Does it mean Rawhide users should do
> > without debugging? That seems contrary to the purpose of Rawhide.
> >

> Clearly. It's a bug, I don't build debuginfo locally because it's an
> epic waste of space and time, and that leaked into the spec. Sorry.

Ah no problem! I thought it must have been a mistake, because the
commit message was so obscure compared to your usual meaningful commit
messages.

Can we revert this one? I really need debuginfo ...

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top

Old 06-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Kyle McMartin

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:13:13PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Clearly. It's a bug, I don't build debuginfo locally because it's an
> > epic waste of space and time, and that leaked into the spec. Sorry.
>
> Ah no problem! I thought it must have been a mistake, because the
> commit message was so obscure compared to your usual meaningful commit
> messages.

It's not obscure, I literally typed 'make debug' :P

> Can we revert this one? I really need debuginfo ...
Yes.