Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/)
-   -   Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/542606-fedora-15-arm-hardfp-virtual-fad-fedora-activity-day-today.html)

Jon Masters 06-22-2011 04:36 AM

Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY
 
Hi Folks,

We are hosting another Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual Fedora Activity Day
today, at 14:00UTC (10:00 Eastern Daylight Time). The purpose of this
session is to co-ordinate the bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating
point). Going forward, the proposal is that these be on Fridays.

You can find a lot more detail here, along with all the pre-reqs/bits:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap_Virtual_FAD_20110622

That page contains links to the general instructions on:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap

Be sure you follow the instructions to use an armv7hl-YOUR_FAS_USERNAME
or group name branch so that we can track who is doing what, and more
easily back out changes if you/we discover a problem with your setup.

Jon.


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Jon Masters 07-15-2011 07:20 AM

Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY
 
Folks,

We are hosting another one of our regular Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual
Fedora Activity Day today Friday July 15th, at 14:00UTC (10:00 Eastern
Daylight Time). The purpose of this session is to co-ordinate the
bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating point).

Last week, we succeeded in reaching a point where we had yum running
natively, and after that rapidly went from just under 100 native binary
RPMs built to 793 right now! We still do not have all of the
dependencies for mock, but we hope to be there soon. We need your help,
if you have the time, hardware, and interest in doing so. Together, we
can reach a point of running mock, then rebuild all of the packages we
have so far natively within a mock, and ultimately have a Koji buildroot
sufficient to officially rebuild everything within the standard Fedora
ARM Koji infrastructure.

You can find a lot more detail here about the stages involved in bringup
(we are at stage 3), along with all the pre-reqs/bits:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap_Virtual_FAD_20110715

For general bootstrapping series information:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Fedora15_HardFP_Bootstrap

Be sure you follow the instructions to use an armv7hl-YOUR_FAS_USERNAME
or group name branch on the Fedora ARM git repo so that we can track who
is doing what, and more easily back out changes if you/we discover a
problem with your setup.

Jon.

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Jon Masters 08-26-2011 01:51 PM

Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY
 
Folks,

We are hosting another one of our regular Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual
Fedora Activity Day today Friday August 26th 2011, at 14:00UTC (10:00
Eastern Daylight Time). The purpose of this session is to co-ordinate
the continued bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating point).

Previously, we performed initial bootstrap (stage1), then proceeded to
get RPM working natively within an ARMv7 hardfp environment (stage2),
then got yum and mock working (stage3). We are now in what we are
calling "stage4" in which we are rebuilding the world of packages using
mock, but are not yet using Koji to do so - that will be stage5, the
final stage before we are able to say that we have completed bringup.

We need helping building packages within a mock environment for F15. To
do this, we have made your life as a (potential) volunteer somewhat more
straightforward through the creation of a standard image that you can
install onto an ARMv7 compatible board (tested on Panda, we believe this
should also work on Beagle, and can be made to run on Tegra-2 boards
like Trimslice with a replacement kernel - ask us for assistance). Once
you have done this, the resulting system will contain a simple script
that you can use to randomly retrieve a package that needs building and
have it build without you having to even issue a single mock command :)

To participate, visit the following link:

http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/f15hardfp/bootstrap/rootfs_stage4_20110825/

Follow the instructions contained within the readme file to extract the
"uboot", "boot", and "root" archives onto an SD Card for your device.
These instructions will destroy whatever is already installed. If you
are familiar with using chroots, you can also retrieve the "root" image
and chroot into it if you would prefer (after bind mounting /proc, /dev,
etc.). We generally prefer not using chroots at this stage however.

Once you have followed the setup instructions:

0). Configure /etc/sysconfig/network
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* according to your setup.
The ones in that image statically assign "tenaya.bos.jonmasters.org".

1). Login to your board as root (password is "fedora"). Change the
password if you would like to do so.

2). Become the "builder" user. You can either "su - builder" or you can
"passwd builder", and then login remotely/on the console.

3). Optional, but recommended, use "screen -S builder" or similar to
start a screen session that you can leave running.

4). Run the simple building script: ./arm-rebuild.sh

5). Monitor the arm mailing list. It is likely that a newer version of
the builder script will be posted later today or before Monday. When
that happens, we may change the SSH keys used in the build image, which
would have the effect of forcing everyone to update. The purpose of that
being to prevent any existing builders running the older script version.
Instructions will be posted for updating a couple files will be posted.

Please join us on IRC: #fedora-arm on irc.freenode.org.

Further documentation will be provided on the Fedora ARM wiki today,
however this email should provide sufficient setup information now.

Jon.


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Niels de Vos 08-26-2011 03:41 PM

Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY
 
On 26 Aug 2011 10:51, "Jon Masters" <jcm@redhat.com> wrote:

>

> Folks,

>

> We are hosting another one of our regular Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual

> Fedora Activity Day today Friday August 26th 2011, at 14:00UTC (10:00

> Eastern Daylight Time). The purpose of this session is to co-ordinate

> the continued bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating point).

>

> Previously, we performed initial bootstrap (stage1), then proceeded to

> get RPM working natively within an ARMv7 hardfp environment (stage2),

> then got yum and mock working (stage3). We are now in what we are

> calling "stage4" in which we are rebuilding the world of packages using

> mock, but are not yet using Koji to do so - that will be stage5, the

> final stage before we are able to say that we have completed bringup.

>

> We need helping building packages within a mock environment for F15. To

> do this, we have made your life as a (potential) volunteer somewhat more

> straightforward through the creation of a standard image that you can

> install onto an ARMv7 compatible board (tested on Panda, we believe this

> should also work on Beagle, and can be made to run on Tegra-2 boards


The builder I've enabled runs on the new OLPC within a chroot and that seems to work very well. I'm not sure if the kernel is a hfp one, but I don't think that was a requirement.


> like Trimslice with a replacement kernel - ask us for assistance). Once

> you have done this, the resulting system will contain a simple script

> that you can use to randomly retrieve a package that needs building and

> have it build without you having to even issue a single mock command :)

>

> To participate, visit the following link:

>

> http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/f15hardfp/bootstrap/rootfs_stage4_20110825/

>

> Follow the instructions contained within the readme file to extract the

> "uboot", "boot", and "root" archives onto an SD Card for your device.

> These instructions will destroy whatever is already installed. If you

> are familiar with using chroots, you can also retrieve the "root" image

> and chroot into it if you would prefer (after bind mounting /proc, /dev,

> etc.). We generally prefer not using chroots at this stage however.

>

> Once you have followed the setup instructions:

>

> 0). Configure /etc/sysconfig/network

> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth* according to your setup.

> The ones in that image statically assign "tenaya.bos.jonmasters.org".

>

> 1). Login to your board as root (password is "fedora"). Change the

> password if you would like to do so.

>

> 2). Become the "builder" user. You can either "su - builder" or you can

> "passwd builder", and then login remotely/on the console.

>

> 3). Optional, but recommended, use "screen -S builder" or similar to

> start a screen session that you can leave running.

>

> 4). Run the simple building script: ./arm-rebuild.sh

>

> 5). Monitor the arm mailing list. It is likely that a newer version of

> the builder script will be posted later today or before Monday. When

> that happens, we may change the SSH keys used in the build image, which

> would have the effect of forcing everyone to update. The purpose of that

> being to prevent any existing builders running the older script version.

> Instructions will be posted for updating a couple files will be posted.

>

> Please join us on IRC: #fedora-arm on irc.freenode.org.

>

> Further documentation will be provided on the Fedora ARM wiki today,

> however this email should provide sufficient setup information now.

>

> Jon.

>

>

> --

> devel mailing list

> devel@lists.fedoraproject.org

> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel



--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Jon Masters 08-26-2011 05:24 PM

Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY
 
On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 09:51 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> To participate, visit the following link:
>
> http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/f15hardfp/bootstrap/rootfs_stage4_20110825/
>
> Follow the instructions contained within the readme file to extract the
> "uboot", "boot", and "root" archives onto an SD Card for your device.
> These instructions will destroy whatever is already installed. If you
> are familiar with using chroots, you can also retrieve the "root" image
> and chroot into it if you would prefer (after bind mounting /proc, /dev,
> etc.). We generally prefer not using chroots at this stage however.

NOTE: The readme has been updated as of 1pm EDT today to correct a few
issues. Please reload it. The current version should work on all OMAPs
using x-loader, no matter how finnicky they are about partitioning.

Jon.


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

Martin Langhoff 08-29-2011 07:21 PM

Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - TODAY
 
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Niels de Vos <devos@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> The builder I've enabled runs on the new OLPC within a chroot and that seems
> to work very well. I'm not sure if the kernel is a hfp one, but I don't
> think that was a requirement.

Excellent! The kernels we provide atm are not hfp afaik -- but it
shouldn't make any difference.

I've found my XO-1.75s, attached to a USB HDD, to be an excellent
build machine :-)

cheers,


m
--
*martin.langhoff@gmail.com
*martin@laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC
*- ask interesting questions
*- don't get distracted with shiny stuff* - working code first
*- http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.