-   -   how to keep rpmbuild directory clean (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/541096-how-keep-rpmbuild-directory-clean.html)

Maxim Burgerhout 06-17-2011 07:03 PM

how to keep rpmbuild directory clean

You can embed rpm macros, like %name, in your .rpmmacros file. That
way, you can create a directory per package containing SPECS, RPMS,
SRPMS, etc. directories. I use it like this (out of the back of my
head):

%_topdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild
%_specdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/SPECS
%_rpmdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/RPMS
%_srcrpmdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/SRPMS
%_sourcedir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/SOURCES

Maxim

Jos Vos 06-17-2011 07:17 PM

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 09:03:53PM +0200, Maxim Burgerhout wrote:

> You can embed rpm macros, like %name, in your .rpmmacros file. That
> way, you can create a directory per package containing SPECS, RPMS,
> SRPMS, etc. directories. I use it like this (out of the back of my
> head):
>
> %_topdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild
> %_specdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/SPECS
> %_rpmdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/RPMS
> %_srcrpmdir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/SRPMS
> %_sourcedir /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name/SOURCES

Isn't (only) setting %_topdir to /home/maxim/rpmbuild/%name enough
for this? I never tested this trick, but if the rest works, just
setting %_topdir that way should be sufficient too.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364

Maxim Burgerhout 06-17-2011 07:24 PM

how to keep rpmbuild directory clean

It might very well work indeed, good point. It's one of those things that has been in my config files for quite some time and don't exactly know the history of anymore :-)

Miloslav Trmač 06-17-2011 07:24 PM

2011/6/17 Jakub Jedelský <jakub.jedelsky@gmail.com>:
> And question is: how to keep my dir clean? :) Have you any method for
> this?
What works for me is 1) using the Fedora git setup for persistent
storage of the spec and patch storage, so that I don't depend on
anything in rpm's %_topdir, and 2) using (rpmbuild --rebuild
my.src.rpm), which cleans up %_sourcedir and %_specdir after itself
automatically after a successful build, and doesn't generate a SRPM at
all. So I'm left with just the binary RPMs, exactly as I want.
Mirek

Marko Myllynen 06-17-2011 07:30 PM

how to keep rpmbuild directory clean

Hi,

>> And question is: how to keep my dir clean? :) Have you any method for
>> this?
> What works for me is 1) using the Fedora git setup for persistent
> storage of the spec and patch storage, so that I don't depend on
> anything in rpm's %_topdir, and 2) using (rpmbuild --rebuild
> my.src.rpm), which cleans up %_sourcedir and %_specdir after itself
> automatically after a successful build, and doesn't generate a SRPM at
> all. So I'm left with just the binary RPMs, exactly as I want.

perhaps this is a good time to mention that the functionality of the
mock-scm wrapper script [1] is now available as part of mock-1.10 so you
can build RPMs from CVS/Git/SVN directly with Mock. See the mock(1)
manual page for details and the LWN article below for higher level
introduction:

http://lwn.net/Articles/446253/

1) http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2010-September/142469.html

Cheers,

--
Marko Myllynen

Jos Matos 06-17-2011 09:32 PM

On Friday 17 June 2011 20:03:53 Maxim Burgerhout wrote:
> You can embed rpm macros, like %name, in your .rpmmacros file. That
> way, you can create a directory per package containing SPECS, RPMS,
> SRPMS, etc. directories. I use it like this (out of the back of my
> head)

I use the same scheme but I prefer to have all the files related to the same
project in the same directory, so I have:

$ cat ~/.rpmmacros
%_topdir /home/jamatos/
%_tmppath /tmp/rpmbuild
%_builddir %{_tmppath}

%_rpmtopdir %{_topdir}/build/%{name}
%_sourcedir %{_rpmtopdir}
%_specdir %{_rpmtopdir}
%_rpmdir %{_rpmtopdir}
%_srcrpmdir %{_rpmtopdir}

%_rpmfilename %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}.rpm

--
Jos Ablio