Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Jakub Jedelský

Default how to keep rpmbuild directory clean

Hi list!

I've made some rpm packages (a special build for me or for company)
from time to time but recently I have a little problem with my
rpmbuild directory. There are a lot of different patches and sources
in SOURCES, SRPMS and SPECS dirs.
And question is: how to keep my dir clean? Have you any method for
this? Do you have one rpmbuild dir for one project or do you use more
user accounts or..simply copy files to another location? And as a
bonus I would like to use git for versioning of spec files..

Thanks for your replies,

(I hope that this is not so stupid question)

JJ

Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Richard Shaw

2011/6/17 Jakub Jedelský <jakub.jedelsky@gmail.com>:
> Hi list!
>
> I've made some rpm packages (a special build for me or for company)
> from time to time but recently I have a little problem with my
> rpmbuild directory. There are a lot of different patches and sources
> in SOURCES, SRPMS and SPECS dirs.
> And question is: how to keep my dir clean? Have you any method for
> this? Do you have one rpmbuild dir for one project or do you use more
> user accounts or..simply copy files to another location? And as a
> bonus I would like to use git for versioning of spec files..
>
> Thanks for your replies,
>
> (I hope that this is not so stupid question)

I don't think it's a stupid question! I'd like to know myself. I use a
user account called "build" to keep my usual login clean and also to
prevent any damage to my user account if a build goes bad.

The only thing I have come up with so far is to make sure that I have
current SRPMs for everything I care about and then delete all the
contents of ~/rpmbuild/{SPECS,SOURCES,RPMS} and then re-install the
SRPMs I want to work with.

Richard

Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Evandro Giovanini

Em Sex, 2011-06-17 ŕs 19:57 +0200, Jakub Jedelský escreveu:
> Hi list!
>
> I've made some rpm packages (a special build for me or for company)
> from time to time but recently I have a little problem with my
> rpmbuild directory. There are a lot of different patches and sources
> in SOURCES, SRPMS and SPECS dirs.
> And question is: how to keep my dir clean? Have you any method for
> this? Do you have one rpmbuild dir for one project or do you use more
> user accounts or..simply copy files to another location? And as a
> bonus I would like to use git for versioning of spec files..
>
> Thanks for your replies,
>
> (I hope that this is not so stupid question)
>
> JJ

I usually build packages with 'rpmbuild -ba --clean --rmsource --rmspec
<file.spec>'. If you already built the packages just remove the '-ba'
option and run the rest (--clean --rmsource --rmspec) on your spec
files.

Evandro

Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Jos Vos

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 07:57:37PM +0200, Jakub Jedelský wrote:

> I've made some rpm packages (a special build for me or for company)
> from time to time but recently I have a little problem with my
> rpmbuild directory. There are a lot of different patches and sources
> in SOURCES, SRPMS and SPECS dirs.
> And question is: how to keep my dir clean? Have you any method for
> this? Do you have one rpmbuild dir for one project or do you use more
> user accounts or..simply copy files to another location? And as a
> bonus I would like to use git for versioning of spec files..

Just use a temporary rpmbuild directory PER BUILD. Why would you want
to keep the stuff that's in there? You have the src.rpm at the end.

And an even better answer is: use mock
(see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock ) for clean buiding.

--
-- Jos Vos <jos@xos.nl>
-- X/OS Experts in Open Systems BV | Phone: +31 20 6938364