Old 06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Frank Murphy

Default what key between Ctrl & Alt

On 17/06/11 15:42, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Domingo Becker<domingobecker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What key between Ctrl& Alt?
>>
>> The key that can not be named!
>
> It can be named... it's called the "Super" key.

Mine's called "Fred" aka menu key.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 06-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Steve Clark

On 06/17/2011 09:05 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2011/06/17 08:53 (GMT-0300) Domingo Becker composed:

The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:

1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.

What key between Ctrl & Alt? The last good[1] keyboards made (AFAIK) predate
keyboards with windows keys, so none of the keyboards I use routinely have them.

[1]good requires:
1-function keys grouped on left so that only fingers of one child's (small)
hand are required to use any combination of function key simultaneously with
any combination of shift key(s); readily usable purely by touch of an
experience user
2-standard inverted-T cursor keys with blank above up key and two blanks
above left and right keys
3-oversize Enter key
4-double width backspace key.

+100

--

Stephen*Clark

NetWolves

Sr.*Software*Engineer*III

Phone:*813-579-3200

Fax:*813-882-0209

Email:*steve.clark@netwolves.com

http://www.netwolves.com

Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Steve Clark

On 2011/06/17 08:53 (GMT-0300) Domingo Becker composed:

The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:

1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.

What key between Ctrl & Alt? The last good[1] keyboards made (AFAIK) predate
keyboards with windows keys, so none of the keyboards I use routinely have them.

[1]good requires:
1-function keys grouped on left so that only fingers of one child's (small)
hand are required to use any combination of function key simultaneously with
any combination of shift key(s); readily usable purely by touch of an
experience user
2-standard inverted-T cursor keys with blank above up key and two blanks
above left and right keys
3-oversize Enter key
4-double width backspace key.

The conditions 2, 3, 4 are still fairly commonly met although it seems
to be harder to get such keyboard recently - at least here.

However I thought that the condition 1 was abandoned when the original
IBM AT keyboards stopped shipping . But then a short search revealed
this one:
Avant Stellar Keyboard
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=376&Item id=65&limit=1&limitstart=4

Good collapsible spring keyboards are still
available from Unicomp.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/linux101.html

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 11:25 -0400, Steve Clark wrote:

> > > 1-function keys grouped on left so that only fingers of one child's (small)
> > > hand are required to use any combination of function key simultaneously with
> > > any combination of shift key(s); readily usable purely by touch of an
> > > experience user

> > However I thought that the condition 1 was abandoned when the original
> > IBM AT keyboards stopped shipping . But then a short search revealed
> > this one:
> > Avant Stellar Keyboard
> > http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=376&Item id=65&limit=1&limitstart=4
> >
> Good collapsible spring keyboards are still available from Unicomp.
> http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/linux101.html

None of those meet OP's condition 1), though.

If you're not as picky as that OP the Unicomp boards are good, but it's
worth bearing in mind that they are simply the IBM Model M, and you can
often find second-hand Model Ms much cheaper on ebay or at second-hand
computer parts stores; for instance, in Vancouver, Free Geek runs a
thrift store where they sell off bits they can't recycle, and they
usually charge only $20 for a Model M (the one I'm typing this on came
from there).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Felix Miata

On 2011/06/17 15:43 (GMT+0200) Tomas Mraz composed:

> On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 09:05 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 2011/06/17 08:53 (GMT-0300) Domingo Becker composed:

>> > The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:

>> > 1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.

>> What key between Ctrl& Alt? The last good[1] keyboards made (AFAIK) predate
>> keyboards with windows keys, so none of the keyboards I use routinely have them.
>> [1]good requires:
>> 1-function keys grouped on left so that only fingers of one child's (small)
>> hand are required to use any combination of function key simultaneously with
>> any combination of shift key(s); readily usable purely by touch of an
>> experience user
>> 2-standard inverted-T cursor keys with blank above up key and two blanks
>> above left and right keys
>> 3-oversize Enter key
>> 4-double width backspace key.

> The conditions 2, 3, 4 are still fairly commonly met although it seems
> to be harder to get such keyboard recently - at least here.

They may be common individually or in combination of any two, but I've not
been able to locate any new stock that combines all three, much less left
function keys, and at a non-exorbitant price.

> However I thought that the condition 1 was abandoned when the original
> IBM AT keyboards stopped shipping . But then a short search revealed
> this one:
> Avant Stellar Keyboard
> http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=376&Item id=65&limit=1&limitstart=4

They may be great, but not great enough to get me to part with $325US each
for all my computers. Even half that much is insane for a home computer, and
unlikely ever to be budgeted in quantity by any business.
http://www.ergonomicsmadeeasy.com/store/specialty/product/avant-stellar/

I just updated http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_keyboard &
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northgate_Computers to include images of the
Northgates. Assuming my changes have not been undone, the 102, and the
ergoLogic/FlexPro, are mine.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/