-   -   what key between Ctrl & Alt (was: GNOME3 and au revoir...) (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-development/540950-what-key-between-ctrl-alt-gnome3-au-revoir.html)

Tomas Mraz 06-17-2011 01:43 PM

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 09:05 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2011/06/17 08:53 (GMT-0300) Domingo Becker composed:
>
> > The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:
>
> > 1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.
>
> What key between Ctrl & Alt? The last good[1] keyboards made (AFAIK) predate
> keyboards with windows keys, so none of the keyboards I use routinely have them.
>
> [1]good requires:
> 1-function keys grouped on left so that only fingers of one child's (small)
> hand are required to use any combination of function key simultaneously with
> any combination of shift key(s); readily usable purely by touch of an
> experience user
> 2-standard inverted-T cursor keys with blank above up key and two blanks
> above left and right keys
> 3-oversize Enter key
> 4-double width backspace key.

The conditions 2, 3, 4 are still fairly commonly met although it seems
to be harder to get such keyboard recently - at least here.

However I thought that the condition 1 was abandoned when the original
IBM AT keyboards stopped shipping :). But then a short search revealed
this one:
Avant Stellar Keyboard
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=376&Item id=65&limit=1&limitstart=4

--
Tomas Mraz
Turkish proverb

Tomas Mraz 06-17-2011 01:43 PM

"Jared K. Smith" 06-17-2011 02:42 PM

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Domingo Becker <domingobecker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What key between Ctrl & Alt?
>
> The key that can not be named!

It can be named... it's called the "Super" key. Well, at least mine
is super, as it has a Fedora logo on it :-)

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Jeff Spaleta 06-17-2011 03:05 PM

what key between Ctrl & Alt (was: GNOME3 and au revoir...)

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Jared K. Smith
<jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> It can be named... it's called the "Super" key. *Well, at least mine
> is super, as it has a Fedora logo on it :-)

That's a bad place for the Fedora logo... just like its a bad place
for the Windows logo. What is needed is project-neutral label for
that key so that GNOME and other interfaces can start referencing it
in the documentation with having to work about vendor branding.

If only the superman logo were public domain the superman symbol would
be perfect.

-jef"Putting branded labels on our keyboard layouts is just dumb. It's
no different than putting the Nike swoosh in place of the N key on
some keyboards or the Starbucks logo on the S key on others. Branded
logo on the parts of the physical interface make it _more_ difficult
to provide accurate documentation which describes that
interface"spaleta

Orcan Ogetbil 06-17-2011 03:24 PM

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Domingo Becker wrote:
> 2011/6/17 Felix Miata :
>> On 2011/06/17 08:53 (GMT-0300) Domingo Becker composed:
>>
>>> The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:
>>
>>> 1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.
>>
>> What key between Ctrl & Alt?
>
> The key that can not be named!
>
> lol

I call it "the untouchable". I once heard the world will end if I
pushed that key. I never had the guts to try. Funny thing is, once the
keyboard gets older, that key starts to shine.

Orcan

Colin Walters 06-17-2011 04:09 PM

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2011/06/17 08:53 (GMT-0300) Domingo Becker composed:
>
>> The shortest way is by using keyboard, as Rahul says:
>
>> 1. Press the key between Ctrl and Alt.
>
> What key between Ctrl & Alt?

You can also use Alt-F1.

Casey Dahlin 06-17-2011 05:58 PM

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 07:05:59AM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:42 AM, Jared K. Smith
> <jsmith@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > It can be named... it's called the "Super" key. *Well, at least mine
> > is super, as it has a Fedora logo on it :-)
>

> That's a bad place for the Fedora logo... just like its a bad place
> for the Windows logo. What is needed is project-neutral label for
> that key so that GNOME and other interfaces can start referencing it
> in the documentation with having to work about vendor branding.
>
> If only the superman logo were public domain the superman symbol would
> be perfect.

The key was actually around for a bit before there was a windows logo on
it. It had a small diamond on it.

--CJD