Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Jeff Spaleta

Default Orphaning istanbul ahead of F-16.

If you want to pick up maintainership for istanbul let me know. I'm
going to be retiring this package in about a week.

-jef

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Bill Nottingham

Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta@gmail.com) said:
> If you want to pick up maintainership for istanbul let me know. I'm
> going to be retiring this package in about a week.

What's the preferred screen recorder these days (outside of the shell
easter egg?)

Bill

Old 06-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Jeff Spaleta

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta@gmail.com) said:
>> If you want to pick up maintainership for istanbul let me know. *I'm
>> going to be retiring this package in about a week.
>
> What's the preferred screen recorder these days (outside of the shell
> easter egg?)

gtkrecorddesktop maybe?

istanbul has some long standing cruft associated with the special gst
plugin that ships with it that is unrelated to gnome-shell and I don't
have the time to dig into upstream and trying to fix things like
screencasting inside a vm that are related to the gst plugin.

If the only problem was istanbul's UI under gnome3 shell...that would
be worth my time creating with some help from a UI rockstart..the UI
is very thin.

But the real problems are in that gst plugin and how that gst pipeline
it is using works. If someone who really understands gst pipelines
could show me a pipeline that does the screencapturing magic using
stock gst plugins so I can rip out the special binary plubin and turn
this into a noarch package again...I'd be willing to champion that
solution even into the upstream codebase (assuming its still an active
codebase..which I have my doubts about). But like I said, I don't
have the interest in trying to figure out what the gst pipeline is.

-jef

Old 06-17-2011, 06:27 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:48:26AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta@gmail.com) said:
> > If you want to pick up maintainership for istanbul let me know. I'm
> > going to be retiring this package in about a week.
>
> What's the preferred screen recorder these days (outside of the shell
> easter egg?)

There's an excellent tool called byzanz which is written by desktop
developer Benjamin Otte. It can record to a variety of formats and
I've found it pretty stable. However, it's pretty clearly deprecated
by the shell's built-in recorder. (Just wanted to give botte a shout
for his work, though.) :-)

Old 06-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Adam Williamson

On Fri, 2011-06-17 at 14:27 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 10:48:26AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta@gmail.com) said:
> > > If you want to pick up maintainership for istanbul let me know. I'm
> > > going to be retiring this package in about a week.
> >
> > What's the preferred screen recorder these days (outside of the shell
> > easter egg?)
>
> There's an excellent tool called byzanz which is written by desktop
> developer Benjamin Otte. It can record to a variety of formats and
> I've found it pretty stable. However, it's pretty clearly deprecated
> by the shell's built-in recorder. (Just wanted to give botte a shout
> for his work, though.) :-)

He goes by 'Company', actually, if you're looking for him on IRC. =)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey