Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
"Henrik Wejdmark"

Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

> > Since you recommend not using the application menu, in other words,
> > you agree that the application menu is useless?
> >

> It is useful when you are looking for something and you don't know what
> exactly it is. In that case, it is much much better then the previous
menus,
> because you have nice overview on one page and moreover you have the
> possibility to filter by groups for example.

On my desktop it's not on "one" page, it's a mile long listing so you get no
overview at all. In Gnome2 at least all the apps are categorized. If the
graphical user interface _requires_ you to use the keyboard to type the
command it has failed it's task and we might as well go back to bash.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
"Henrik Wejdmark"

> GNOME 3 menu has categories in the right as well but in any case, the
> common apps are in the dash and using a keyboard with a search as you type
> interface isn't the same as using bash. Let us not be dramatic.
>
> Rahul

As has been stated earlier in this thread, having the hot spot in the top
left corner and categories far right causes a lot of mouse movements. Common
apps in the dash only opens the first instance, after that it switches to
the existing instance, effectively doubling the functionality from the
activities window.

I'll end my argument here, and Gnome3 is the reason I'm now evaluating other
DEs and distros.