Old 06-17-2011, 09:57 AM
"Henrik Wejdmark"

Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

> The workflow is:
> 1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have to
> click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not
click
> there.)
> 2) Type on the keyboard few character of the application name you want to
> run, e.g. "cal" and on your screen will be filtered "Calculator" and
"LibreOffice
> Calc"
> 3) Click on the appropriate icon.
>
> Or alternatively:
>
> 1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have to
> click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not
click
> there.)
> 2) Click on your pined favorite application icon.
>
> If you go "Application" and try to find there you favorite app, then I
have to
> congratulate to your patience. That was always the biggest pain of former
DE
> to remember "Oh, where is the terminal, is it in accessories, system
> management or other group?" or "Is the browser office application or
> internet?". To be honest, I don't care.

Since you recommend not using the application menu, in other words, you
agree that the application menu is useless?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Vít Ondruch

Dne 17.6.2011 11:57, Henrik Wejdmark napsal(a):
>> The workflow is:
>> 1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have to
>> click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not
> click
>> there.)
>> 2) Type on the keyboard few character of the application name you want to
>> run, e.g. "cal" and on your screen will be filtered "Calculator" and
> "LibreOffice
>> Calc"
>> 3) Click on the appropriate icon.
>>
>> Or alternatively:
>>
>> 1) Move the mouse to the to left corner (move is enough, you don't have to
>> click. You even can drag and drop through activities, so learn to not
> click
>> there.)
>> 2) Click on your pined favorite application icon.
>>
>> If you go "Application" and try to find there you favorite app, then I
> have to
>> congratulate to your patience. That was always the biggest pain of former
> DE
>> to remember "Oh, where is the terminal, is it in accessories, system
>> management or other group?" or "Is the browser office application or
>> internet?". To be honest, I don't care.
> Since you recommend not using the application menu, in other words, you
> agree that the application menu is useless?

It is useful when you are looking for something and you don't know what
exactly it is. In that case, it is much much better then the previous
menus, because you have nice overview on one page and moreover you have
the possibility to filter by groups for example.

Vit

Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/17/2011 03:50 PM, Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
> On my desktop it's not on "one" page, it's a mile long listing so you get no
> overview at all. In Gnome2 at least all the apps are categorized. If the
> graphical user interface _requires_ you to use the keyboard to type the
> command it has failed it's task and we might as well go back to bash.

GNOME 3 menu has categories in the right as well but in any case, the
common apps are in the dash and using a keyboard with a search as you
type interface isn't the same as using bash. Let us not be dramatic.

Rahul

Old 06-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Ralf Corsepius

On 06/17/2011 12:16 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Dne 17.6.2011 11:57, Henrik Wejdmark napsal(a):

> It is useful when you are looking for something and you don't know what
> exactly it is. In that case, it is much much better then the previous
> menus, because you have nice overview on one page and moreover you have
> the possibility to filter by groups for example.
I disgree.

With F14/gnome2 you clicked on "Applications", then moved the mouse down
the menu and navigated through the submenues by hovering the cursor over
them. When doing so, you were presented tooltips outlining the purpose
of the apps. All this required the mouse/trackpad to move for only very
small distances.

With F15/gnome3 you are presented a pane of icons with
non-self-explanatory names, stretched over many screen, no tooltips, etc.
The distances a mouse had to move are much longer than they used to be.

The symbol-grounding issues (Which group might the app I am searching
for be classified under?) is basically the same in both approaches.

Ralf