Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Jeff Spaleta

Default laptop LCD color temperature request

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Lucas <macachuto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All.
>
> Since Fedora 13 I am trying to replace my old OpenSuse 11.1 with Fedora and always failed.
> The problem is I can't use my laptop LCD picture. After about 20-30 minutes I feel eye strain.

Have you looked at installing and configuring redshift on user login?
yum info redshift

-jef

Old 06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Lucas

On 06/16/2011 08:10 PM, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Lucas<macachuto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All.
>>
>> Since Fedora 13 I am trying to replace my old OpenSuse 11.1 with Fedora and always failed.
>> The problem is I can't use my laptop LCD picture. After about 20-30 minutes I feel eye strain.
>
> Have you looked at installing and configuring redshift on user login?
> yum info redshift
>

> -jef

Thanks a lot for your advice, I will play with it.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Jeff Spaleta

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Lucas <macachuto@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for your advice, I will play with it.

The advanced gnome-clock based support for location is busted in
gnome3 but the manual lat/lon settings work fine. If you don't want
it to transition from day to night color temperature smoothly through
out the day... you can set day and night to the same value and use the
one-time option.
For example:

redshift -l 0.:0. -t 6500:6500 -o

Just change the -t argument to whatever feels good to you for a static
color temp.

If you want the day to night transitions you need to put in a
reasonable lat/lon for arguments to -l to get the day/time correct.

It works really well in F14 with gnome-clock's location awareness I
can set my default location in gnome's clock and it will figure out
what time of day it is and re-adjust accordingly.

What it could use is the ability to interact with geoip as a location
provider and pick up your lat lon from your ip address. That would
actually not be a hugely difficult feature to hack in and contribute
upstream.

-jef