Old 06-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Paul Howarth

Default Proposal: retire bittorrent

I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
ownership. Think carefully before you act though!

Dead Upstream:
==============
Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
version 6 so it's effectively dead.

Old Version:
============
Upstream's last open-source release (code dump really) was 5.3
(http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/), which was little more than a GPL
re-licensing of 5.2.2 and a dump of upstream VCS content. Fedora has
been stuck with 4.4.0 though with its PyGTK GUI because the "new" GUI in
version 5 was a rewrite with wxGTK but it didn't work with wxGTK > 2.6
(http://bugzilla.redhat.com/223623) and so was unusable in Fedora.

I believe Mandriva "solved" this problem by having transmission obsolete
bittorrent-gui and just shipping the console version.

Open Bugs:
==========
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189072 (bittorrent doesn't die gracefully)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189295 (bittorrent is not utf-8 aware)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/237254 (translations not working since python
2.4)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/246879 (LSB-ize initscripts)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/489810 (bittorrent stops seeding files, even
when "seed indefinitely" is checked)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/630569 (traceback due to argument parsing error)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/678710 (crash due to not running via provided
initscript)
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/707637 (RFE upgrade to 5.x)

Some of these are probably quite easily fixed by someone that knows
their python and is willing to dive into the code but they would have to
be prepared to the de-facto new upstream maintainer if they wanted to
take it on.

Doesn't Obey Protocol:

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
> reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
> instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
> ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
>
> Dead Upstream:
> ==============
> Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
> version 6 so it's effectively dead.
>
> Old Version:
> ============
> Upstream's last open-source release (code dump really) was 5.3
> (http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/), which was little more than a GPL
> re-licensing of 5.2.2 and a dump of upstream VCS content. Fedora has
> been stuck with 4.4.0 though with its PyGTK GUI because the "new" GUI in
> version 5 was a rewrite with wxGTK but it didn't work with wxGTK > 2.6
> (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/223623) and so was unusable in Fedora.
>
> I believe Mandriva "solved" this problem by having transmission obsolete
> bittorrent-gui and just shipping the console version.
>
> Open Bugs:
> ==========
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189072 (bittorrent doesn't die gracefully)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189295 (bittorrent is not utf-8 aware)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/237254 (translations not working since python
> 2.4)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/246879 (LSB-ize initscripts)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/489810 (bittorrent stops seeding files, even
> when "seed indefinitely" is checked)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/630569 (traceback due to argument parsing
> error)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/678710 (crash due to not running via provided
> initscript)
> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/707637 (RFE upgrade to 5.x)
>
> Some of these are probably quite easily fixed by someone that knows
> their python and is willing to dive into the code but they would have to
> be prepared to the de-facto new upstream maintainer if they wanted to
> take it on.
>
> Doesn't Obey Protocol:

My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available. I
currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. Can someone
with experience with any of them offer a recommendation? Python, C and
C++ clients especially. I've searched, but there are many out there.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Jon Ciesla writes:

My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available. I
currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. Can someone
with experience with any of them offer a recommendation?

transmission-cli works for me.

transmission should be sufficient to replace bittorrent.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
"tim.lauridsen@gmail.com"

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Jon Ciesla <limb@jcomserv.net> wrote:
> My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available. *I
> currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. *Can someone
> with experience with any of them offer a recommendation? *Python, C and
> C++ clients especially. *I've searched, but there are many out there.

transmission-cli should do the job

Tim

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Paul Howarth

On 06/15/2011 01:37 PM, Jon Ciesla wrote:

>> I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
>> reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
>> instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
>> ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
>>
>> Dead Upstream:
>> ==============
>> Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
>> version 6 so it's effectively dead.
>>
>> Old Version:
>> ============
>> Upstream's last open-source release (code dump really) was 5.3
>> (http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/), which was little more than a GPL
>> re-licensing of 5.2.2 and a dump of upstream VCS content. Fedora has
>> been stuck with 4.4.0 though with its PyGTK GUI because the "new" GUI in
>> version 5 was a rewrite with wxGTK but it didn't work with wxGTK> 2.6
>> (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/223623) and so was unusable in Fedora.
>>
>> I believe Mandriva "solved" this problem by having transmission obsolete
>> bittorrent-gui and just shipping the console version.
>>
>> Open Bugs:
>> ==========
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189072 (bittorrent doesn't die gracefully)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189295 (bittorrent is not utf-8 aware)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/237254 (translations not working since python
>> 2.4)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/246879 (LSB-ize initscripts)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/489810 (bittorrent stops seeding files, even
>> when "seed indefinitely" is checked)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/630569 (traceback due to argument parsing
>> error)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/678710 (crash due to not running via provided
>> initscript)
>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/707637 (RFE upgrade to 5.x)
>>
>> Some of these are probably quite easily fixed by someone that knows
>> their python and is willing to dive into the code but they would have to
>> be prepared to the de-facto new upstream maintainer if they wanted to
>> take it on.
>>
>> Doesn't Obey Protocol:
>>

> My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available. I
> currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. Can someone
> with experience with any of them offer a recommendation? Python, C and
> C++ clients especially. I've searched, but there are many out there.

I personally use rtorrent.

Paul.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> On 06/15/2011 01:37 PM, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>>
>>> I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
>>> reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
>>> instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
>>> ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
>>>
>>> Dead Upstream:
>>> ==============
>>> Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
>>> version 6 so it's effectively dead.
>>>
>>> Old Version:
>>> ============
>>> Upstream's last open-source release (code dump really) was 5.3
>>> (http://download.bittorrent.com/dl/), which was little more than a GPL
>>> re-licensing of 5.2.2 and a dump of upstream VCS content. Fedora has
>>> been stuck with 4.4.0 though with its PyGTK GUI because the "new" GUI
>>> in
>>> version 5 was a rewrite with wxGTK but it didn't work with wxGTK> 2.6
>>> (http://bugzilla.redhat.com/223623) and so was unusable in Fedora.
>>>
>>> I believe Mandriva "solved" this problem by having transmission
>>> obsolete
>>> bittorrent-gui and just shipping the console version.
>>>
>>> Open Bugs:
>>> ==========
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189072 (bittorrent doesn't die gracefully)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/189295 (bittorrent is not utf-8 aware)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/237254 (translations not working since
>>> python
>>> 2.4)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/246879 (LSB-ize initscripts)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/489810 (bittorrent stops seeding files, even
>>> when "seed indefinitely" is checked)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/630569 (traceback due to argument parsing
>>> error)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/678710 (crash due to not running via
>>> provided
>>> initscript)
>>> http://bugzilla.redhat.com/707637 (RFE upgrade to 5.x)
>>>
>>> Some of these are probably quite easily fixed by someone that knows
>>> their python and is willing to dive into the code but they would have
>>> be prepared to the de-facto new upstream maintainer if they wanted to
>>> take it on.
>>>
>>> Doesn't Obey Protocol:
>>>

>> My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available.
>> currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. Can someone
>> with experience with any of them offer a recommendation? Python, C and
>> C++ clients especially. I've searched, but there are many out there.
>
> I personally use rtorrent.
>
> Paul.

Excellent, I'll check out rtorrent and transmission-cli. Thanks all,
carry on!

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love

-d. bowie

Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Misha Shnurapet

15.06.2011, 21:37, "Jon Ciesla" <limb@jcomserv.net>:
> My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available. *I
> currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. *Can someone
> with experience with any of them offer a recommendation? *Python, C and
> C++ clients especially. *I've searched, but there are many out there.

I think you should look at deluge-console for there is also a daemon that runs separately, supporting tasks priority, queueing, automatic torrent management, and they've got a nice bandwidth tweaking how-to for it [1].

[1] http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/BandwidthTweaking

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode

Old 06-15-2011, 01:17 PM
"Jon Ciesla"

> 15.06.2011, 21:37, "Jon Ciesla" <limb@jcomserv.net>:
>> My only concern is that there be a command-line replacement available.
>> ?I
>> currently fetch my ISOs with bittorrent-curses and screen. ?Can someone
>> with experience with any of them offer a recommendation? ?Python, C and
>> C++ clients especially. ?I've searched, but there are many out there.
>
> I think you should look at deluge-console for there is also a daemon that
> runs separately, supporting tasks priority, queueing, automatic torrent
> management, and they've got a nice bandwidth tweaking how-to for it [1].
>
> [1] http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/UserGuide/BandwidthTweaking

<Spock>Fascinating.</Spock>

Thanks!

-J

Old 06-16-2011, 02:08 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 07:12:56 AM Paul Howarth wrote:
> I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
> reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
> instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
> ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
>
> Dead Upstream:
> ==============
> Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
> version 6 so it's effectively dead.

we use it as the official torrent server for torrent.fedoraproject.org we have
not found any other servers that work totally for us. if we are getting rid
of it we should also look as using something else for the torrents we provide.

A nice thing to have is something that we can use with ipv6 and ipv4, the
server that torrent.fp.o is on has both

Dennis

Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 AM
seth vidal

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 21:08 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 07:12:56 AM Paul Howarth wrote:
> > I propose to retire bittorrent (the original python client) for the
> > reasons outlined below. If anyone's interested in taking it over
> > instead, please apply on the package database and I'll transfer
> > ownership. Think carefully before you act though!
> >
> > Dead Upstream:
> > ==============
> > Well, not actually dead but upstream has gone closed-source as of
> > version 6 so it's effectively dead.
>
> we use it as the official torrent server for torrent.fedoraproject.org we have
> not found any other servers that work totally for us. if we are getting rid
> of it we should also look as using something else for the torrents we provide.
>
> A nice thing to have is something that we can use with ipv6 and ipv4, the
> server that torrent.fp.o is on has both

Heck, I'd be willing to accept ANY bittorrent server that can be both
tracker and primary seed and doesn't require a special apache module to
do it.

The biggest virtue of the old bittorrent client is that it is simple,
stand alone and while not fancy, it is straightforward to understand.

-sv