FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
> I have been with this distro since RH4 and have had a great time doing so.
> Almost every upgrade has been really smooth with only a few minor setbacks
> like an odd broken dependency that was easily fixed, but F15 is the end
> for me. I think Karl summed it up pretty well. We can't always agree with
> every decision, but as our license fees are less than substantial we
> have to live with (semi-)democratic decisions.
>
> I have chosen 3), not because of systemd (which I like), but GNOME3

There is no need to run away from Fedora because of GNOME 3. We also have
KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE and some other choices available for you. And you'll
probably have to get familiar with one of those options sooner or later
anyway, GNOME 2 is a dead end.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On 06/13/2011 08:14 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
>> I have been with this distro since RH4 and have had a great time doing so.
>> Almost every upgrade has been really smooth with only a few minor setbacks
>> like an odd broken dependency that was easily fixed, but F15 is the end
>> for me. I think Karl summed it up pretty well. We can't always agree with
>> every decision, but as our license fees are less than substantial we
>> have to live with (semi-)democratic decisions.
>>
>> I have chosen 3), not because of systemd (which I like), but GNOME3
>
> There is no need to run away from Fedora because of GNOME 3. We also have
> KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE and some other choices available for you. And you'll
> probably have to get familiar with one of those options sooner or later
> anyway, GNOME 2 is a dead end.
>
> Kevin Kofler

FYI - I switched to KDE - the current version is pretty nice - small
learning curve - and I found I prefer it to Gnome 2 even (def prefer to
Gnome 3). I spent a little time but not too long - it does everything I
need pretty well (I have multiple apps, terminals etc in different
workspaces).

Its a nice refreshing update from Gnome 2 and clearly is not trying to
compete with Android - which already won the phone UI ... and quite
possible the tablet UI as well, tho that looks a little more penetrable
to me market wise.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do ...
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Alexander Boström
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

tis 2011-06-14 klockan 01:19 +0200 skrev Henrik Wejdmark:

> 3) When switching to Applications the default show all applications, which
> on a phone works great but on a workstation just floods my screen. I do
> have more than 16 applications.....
> 4) Luckily I can still select a group of applications to narrow my search,
> but why is the hot spot in the top left corner and my list of groups on the
> far right side? A lot of mouse movement for a trivial, and commonly used,
> task.

Use the keyboard. It's very fast:

Meta "evol" Return

> 5) The default icon size in the application menu would work great on my TV
> when I'm sitting in the sofa, but on my laptop they are gigantic.
> 6) Favorites are a great idea. A quick bar for access to my most commonly
> used applications. So I added "terminal" immediately, but why don't I get a
> new terminal when I click it the second time?

Not really a fan of the application-centric approach either.

/abo


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Jaroslav Reznik
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 06:51:18 AM Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 08:14 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Henrik Wejdmark wrote:
> >> I have been with this distro since RH4 and have had a great time doing
> >> so. Almost every upgrade has been really smooth with only a few minor
> >> setbacks like an odd broken dependency that was easily fixed, but F15
> >> is the end for me. I think Karl summed it up pretty well. We can't
> >> always agree with every decision, but as our license fees are less than
> >> substantial we have to live with (semi-)democratic decisions.
> >>
> >> I have chosen 3), not because of systemd (which I like), but GNOME3
> >
> > There is no need to run away from Fedora because of GNOME 3. We also have
> > KDE Plasma, Xfce, LXDE and some other choices available for you. And
> > you'll probably have to get familiar with one of those options sooner or
> > later anyway, GNOME 2 is a dead end.
> >
> > Kevin Kofler
>
> FYI - I switched to KDE - the current version is pretty nice - small
> learning curve - and I found I prefer it to Gnome 2 even (def prefer to
> Gnome 3). I spent a little time but not too long - it does everything I
> need pretty well (I have multiple apps, terminals etc in different
> workspaces).
>
> Its a nice refreshing update from Gnome 2 and clearly is not trying to
> compete with Android - which already won the phone UI ... and quite
> possible the tablet UI as well, tho that looks a little more penetrable
> to me market wise.

They are of course trying to beat Android and iOS ;-) But a different approach is
taken - not a one UX suits every needs but for desktops there's desktop user
iterface, for netbook there's netbook one (you can try it but be warned - it's
Gnome-shell step brother in some terms ;-) and now I'm trying to package Plasma
Active for tablets - another different UI. But shares most of code and most of
Plasmoids so it looks similar, behaves similar but targets different form factor
device.

I can't promise Plasma Active now as it depends on KDE Platform 4.7 (slowly
pushing it to Rawhide) and for some reasons it crashes for me on top of these
builds...

But as Kevin pointed out - all three "alternative" spins are very decent ones.
And Gnome Shell is not a bad for a first release especially.

Jaroslav

> Enjoy whatever you decide to do ...

--
Jaroslav ŘeznÃ*k <jreznik@redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Base Operating Systems Brno

Office: +420 532 294 275
Mobile: +420 602 797 774
Red Hat, Inc. http://cz.redhat.com/
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
"Richard W.M. Jones"
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

I've installed XFCE. It was easy to install, and it works sanely
(unlike GNOME 3 / Unity).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Virtualization Group, Red Hat http://people.redhat.com/~rjones
virt-top is 'top' for virtual machines. Tiny program with many
powerful monitoring features, net stats, disk stats, logging, etc.
http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:31 PM
seth vidal
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:25 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> I've installed XFCE. It was easy to install, and it works sanely
> (unlike GNOME 3 / Unity).


And you can add some interesting tools around xfce which enhance,imo,
its operation.

-sv


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
"Nathanael D. Noblet"
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On 06/14/2011 07:31 AM, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:25 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> I've installed XFCE. It was easy to install, and it works sanely
>> (unlike GNOME 3 / Unity).
>
>
> And you can add some interesting tools around xfce which enhance,imo,
> its operation.

Does it have anything like vino where you can share your current running
desktop via VNC? like in Gnome, that's probably my biggest check against
it as I have to often vnc to a remote users session to show them
something...


--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM
"Nathanael D. Noblet"
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On 06/14/2011 07:31 AM, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:25 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> I've installed XFCE. It was easy to install, and it works sanely
>> (unlike GNOME 3 / Unity).
>
>
> And you can add some interesting tools around xfce which enhance,imo,
> its operation.

Does it have anything like vino where you can share your current running
desktop via VNC? like in Gnome, that's probably my biggest check against
it as I have to often vnc to a remote users session to show them
something...


--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Genes MailLists
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On 06/14/2011 12:27 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 07:31 AM, seth vidal wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:25 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> I've installed XFCE. It was easy to install, and it works sanely
>>> (unlike GNOME 3 / Unity).
>>
>>
>> And you can add some interesting tools around xfce which enhance,imo,
>> its operation.
>
> Does it have anything like vino where you can share your current running
> desktop via VNC? like in Gnome, that's probably my biggest check against
> it as I have to often vnc to a remote users session to show them
> something...
>
>

I found vino to be so slow as to be almost unusable - regular vnc
works way better .. I'd think you'd only need to put the usual info into
the xorg.conf file like always for the server side ... but we really
need something like rdp - which hopefully we'll get when wayland settles
down .. pixel scraping is not the way to go.
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-14-2011, 06:32 PM
"Nathanael D. Noblet"
 
Default GNOME3 and au revoir WAS: systemd: please stop trying to take over the world :)

On 06/14/2011 11:24 AM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 12:27 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>> On 06/14/2011 07:31 AM, seth vidal wrote:
>>> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 11:25 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>>> I've installed XFCE. It was easy to install, and it works sanely
>>>> (unlike GNOME 3 / Unity).
>>>
>>>
>>> And you can add some interesting tools around xfce which enhance,imo,
>>> its operation.
>>
>> Does it have anything like vino where you can share your current running
>> desktop via VNC? like in Gnome, that's probably my biggest check against
>> it as I have to often vnc to a remote users session to show them
>> something...
>>
>>
>
> I found vino to be so slow as to be almost unusable - regular vnc
> works way better .. I'd think you'd only need to put the usual info into
> the xorg.conf file like always for the server side ... but we really
> need something like rdp - which hopefully we'll get when wayland settles
> down .. pixel scraping is not the way to go.

Its worked super well for me (though less well with GNOME3's effects
etc)... Can you point me to what you mean by the usual info into
xorg.conf? to be clear, I don't want to run *my* session over VNC. I
want to be able to connect to a remote users *current* session to see
and control their computer (while they see what I'm doing)... Does your
message still apply?

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org