Old 06-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Frank Murphy

Default OT: Fedora MulitiLiveCD, Current Status?

What is the status of the MultiLiveCD,
that was being mooted last year.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora

Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 06/12/2011 03:27 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> What is the status of the MultiLiveCD,
> that was being mooted last year.

http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/releases/15/Multi/

Rahul

Old 06-12-2011, 11:19 AM
"Jared K. Smith"

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the status of the MultiLiveCD,
> that was being mooted last year.

We were able to work through all the technical issues with the
proposal, and Release Engineering has created Multi-Desktop LiveDVD
images for Fedora 15. They even auto-detect whether you're on an i386
or x86_64 platform, but of course you can override the automatic
selection. A big "thank you" goes out to Tom Callaway for rewriting
the script that generates the images, Dennis Gilmore for actually
getting the images created, and of course Christoph Wickert for
championing the idea.

The North American ambassadors have had some media created from those
images (and I was able to pick up a copy this weekend at South East
Linux Fest and watch it work), and I know that the European
ambassadors as in the process of ordering media as well. In short,
the Multi-Desktop LiveDVD is alive and working well.

In addition, we created a Multi-Install image that merged both the
i386 and x86_64 installation DVDs into a single disk image. I don't
remember whether or not the North American ambassadors had any of
these DVDs pressed, but I know the European ambassadors have ordered
some of these DVDs.

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader

Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Jan Kratochvil

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:19:23 +0200, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> We were able to work through all the technical issues with the
> proposal, and Release Engineering has created Multi-Desktop LiveDVD
> images for Fedora 15. They even auto-detect whether you're on an i386
> or x86_64 platform, but of course you can override the automatic
> selection.

I was trying to push it since 2009:
[Fedora-livecd-list] auto-biarch (x86_64 + i686) LiveDVD patch + ISO
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2009-June/msg00018.html
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Biarch_Spin

so when there exists now a releng-approved biarch spin why isn't the default
"Download" button on http://fedoraproject.org finally the biarch-autodetecting
spin? A biarch single-desktop download would be enough with under 2GB size.

Besides users benefits Fedora could get the x86_64 ebtter performance over
other distros in various magazine reviews this way.

Regards,
Jan

Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Jan Kratochvil

Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 PM
John Reiser

On 06/12/2011 04:55 AM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> so when there exists now a releng-approved biarch spin why isn't the default
> "Download" button on http://fedoraproject.org finally the biarch-autodetecting
> spin? A biarch single-desktop download would be enough with under 2GB size.

1GB USB flash storage often can be scavenged for no monetary cost.
2GB USB flash storage more often costs real money.
The capacity of a CD-R is 700MB, and there are still-very-usable
5-year-old boxes (even x86_64) that cannot boot from a USB "harddrive".

Old 06-12-2011, 12:16 PM
John Reiser

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Jan Kratochvil

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:16:41 +0200, John Reiser wrote:
> 1GB USB flash storage often can be scavenged for no monetary cost.
> 2GB USB flash storage more often costs real money.

I got my 2GB flash for free, I do not find this 1GB<->2GB difference relevant,
the availability also differs according to country how the sizes increase.

> The capacity of a CD-R is 700MB, and there are still-very-usable
> 5-year-old boxes (even x86_64) that cannot boot from a USB "harddrive".

Yes, there exist many old boxes. But the common machine today both downloads
and runs 2GB DVD/flash without any problem. I agree there still should be
CD-R 700MB 32bit ISO but it is enough to keep it under "More options >" for
those few old boxes. People running such old hardware are aware of it.

Thanks,
Jan

Old 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Jan Kratochvil

Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Frank Murphy

On 12/06/11 12:19, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Frank Murphy<frankly3d@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the status of the MultiLiveCD,
>> that was being mooted last year.
>
> We were able to work through all the technical issues with the
> proposal, and Release Engineering has created Multi-Desktop LiveDVD
> images for Fedora 15.

<snip>

So they are fully approved Fedora Images,
It may be possible for us to include in Freemedia then?

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of Fedora