FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

The labor of love that was maintaining xine-lib has passed, as it will no
longer be a dependency in f16's kde stack in any form. As such, I'm
orphaning it. Kevin Kofler has offered to take ownership, though I'd
venture he'd welcome any comaintainer assistance offered.

In a similar vein, phonon-backend-xine has officially been deprecated and is
no longer supported. We'll be EOL'ing this one soon.

-- Rex

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

Rex Dieter wrote:
> The labor of love that was maintaining xine-lib has passed, as it will no
> longer be a dependency in f16's kde stack in any form. As such, I'm
> orphaning it. Kevin Kofler has offered to take ownership, though I'd
> venture he'd welcome any comaintainer assistance offered.

FWIW, there's one third-party KDE-Platform-based application still using
xine-lib for the foreseeable future: Kaffeine. That package was also
orphaned, I picked it up too.

> In a similar vein, phonon-backend-xine has officially been deprecated and
> is no longer supported. We'll be EOL'ing this one soon.

It's indeed time for that one to just go away, phonon-backend-gstreamer is
now the better solution. I'm not going to attempt resurrecting phonon-
backend-xine unless upstream suddenly changes their mind about the
recommended Phonon backend again and brings it back from the ashes (but
xine-lib itself would need a sudden reinjection of life as well).

We've been doing the switch step by step:
* Fedora 9, 10 and 11 installed only phonon-backend-xine by default.
* Fedora 12, 13 and 14 installed both phonon-backend-xine and phonon-
backend-gstreamer by default and defaulted to phonon-backend-xine.
* Fedora 15 only installs phonon-backend-gstreamer by default. phonon-
backend-xine is still in the repository, but will not be used by default
even when installed.
* Fedora 16 will only support phonon-backend-gstreamer.

Kevin Kofler

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Petrus de Calguarium
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> there's one third-party KDE-Platform-based application still using
> xine-lib for the foreseeable future: Kaffeine.

kaffeine has begun to look kind of shabby. I always installed it, as xine
appeared to have the most complete set of codecs. Can other programs now deal
with everything that xine/kaffeine was a fallback for? (Sorry, I have no actual
examples, off the top of my head)

xine-lib is a requisite for xine-lib-extras-freeworld. Will amarok be using a
different library to play mp3 in f16?

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:04 PM
John5342
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 19:02, Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel@gmail.com> wrote:



Kevin Kofler wrote:



> there's one third-party KDE-Platform-based application still using

> xine-lib for the foreseeable future: Kaffeine.



kaffeine has begun to look kind of shabby. I always installed it, as xine

appeared to have the most complete set of codecs. Can other programs now deal

with everything that xine/kaffeine was a fallback for? (Sorry, I have no actual

examples, off the top of my head)



xine-lib is a requisite for xine-lib-extras-freeworld. Will amarok be using a

different library to play mp3 in f16?
So far as i am aware amarok just uses phonon for playback (since 2.0) so if you use phonon-backend-xine then it uses xine and if you use phonon-backend-gstreamer it uses gstreamer and phonon-backend-vlc uses vlc. Hence xine-lib-extras-freeworld should make no difference to amarok when using the default backend anyway. You probably want gstreamer-plugins-* in f15+ (or whenever phonon-backend-gstreamer became the default) unless you changed the back end manually.



--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Petrus de Calguarium
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

John5342 wrote:

> Hence xine-lib-extras-freeworld should make no difference to amarok when
> using the default backend anyway. You probably want gstreamer-plugins-* in
> f15+ (or whenever phonon-backend-gstreamer became the default) unless you
> changed the back end manually.

Oh, so you mean I never needed to install xine-lib-extras-freeworld, since I am
using phonon-backend-gstreamer? I can get amarok to play mp3, assuming I have
all of the gstreamer-plugins-* installed?

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-11-2011, 10:23 PM
John5342
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 22:59, Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> John5342 wrote:
>
> > Hence xine-lib-extras-freeworld should make no difference to amarok when
> > using the default backend anyway. You probably want gstreamer-plugins-* in
> > f15+ (or whenever phonon-backend-gstreamer became the default) unless you
> > changed the back end manually.
>
> Oh, so you mean I never needed to install xine-lib-extras-freeworld, since I am
> using phonon-backend-gstreamer?

Precisely.

> I can get amarok to play mp3, assuming I have
> all of the gstreamer-plugins-* installed?

Yes basically. I forget which one exactly contains the mp3 plugin but
i just install all of them and then i don't have to worry about any
other format i may one day come across.

The same plugins are also used by just about every other form of KDE
based audio/video. That includes everything from video players like
Dragon to audio players like Amarok to System Notifications etc.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Petrus de Calguarium
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> John5342 wrote:
>
>> Hence xine-lib-extras-freeworld should make no difference to amarok when
>> using the default backend anyway. You probably want gstreamer-plugins-*
>> in f15+ (or whenever phonon-backend-gstreamer became the default) unless
>> you changed the back end manually.
>

I guess it works. I just uninstalled xine-lib-extras-freeworld and amarok is
fine. I haven't tried any video players, yet, but all looks good so far.

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Petrus de Calguarium
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

John5342 wrote:

> I forget which one exactly contains the mp3 plugin

gstreamer-plugins-ugly, I believe

> i just install all of them and then i don't have to worry about any
> other format i may one day come across.

ditto

> The same plugins are also used by just about every other form of KDE
> based audio/video. That includes everything from video players like
> Dragon to audio players like Amarok to System Notifications etc.

Curious. I thought Dragon must use xine-lib, since both kdemultimedia and
kdebase-runtime require it in F15.

--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM
John5342
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 02:06, Petrus de Calguarium <pgueckel@gmail.com> wrote:
> John5342 wrote:
>
>> I forget which one exactly contains the mp3 plugin
>
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly, I believe
>
>> i just install all of them and then i don't have to worry about any
>> other format i may one day come across.
>
> ditto
>
>> The same plugins are also used by just about every other form of KDE
>> based audio/video. That includes everything from video players like
>> Dragon to audio players like Amarok to System Notifications etc.
>
> Curious. I thought Dragon must use xine-lib, since both kdemultimedia and
> kdebase-runtime require it in F15.

At least in kdemultimedia, wine-lib seems to be required for dvd
support (which is usable within Fedora assuming they are not encrypted
and usable on encrypted dvds with libdvdcss) which is a little more
advanced than phonon can handle (complex and separate videos, menu
navigation etc) and therefore handled separately. I don't know about
kdebase-runtime but i imagine that has it's own independent purpose.
Dragon does seem to use phonon for most of it's stuff though.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...
--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Rex Dieter
 
Default orphaning xine-lib, EOL'ing phonon-backend-xine

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:

> Curious. I thought Dragon must use xine-lib, since both kdemultimedia and
> kdebase-runtime require it in F15.

It used xine-lib directly, only because phonon lacked support for DVD menus
(until recently). kde-4.7 will (should!) fix that.

-- Rex


--
devel mailing list
devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org